Graham Wheeler's water calculator

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
DerbyshireNick

Re: Graham Wheeler's water calculator

Post by DerbyshireNick » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

https://jqueryui.com/slider/

If you were doing it for the web again it would be worth doing it in bootstrap with jQuery and a knockout or angular viewmodel backend.

A simple option then would be to use something like amplifyjs to abstract a local storage for values which would semi-persist them but obviously they would be lost when clearing the browser cache etc. Otherwise you would need to go down the route of plugging things into accounts etc.

I keep getting very tempted to build a brilliantly useable mobile first "brew tools" site. The programming isn't a problem its the math and understanding.

Edit: Sod it, going to start playing with my hop addition tool again.

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:41 am

just out of geeky interest I thought you might be interested in the following I put into my hop calculator last night.

<input class="form-control" type="range" min="1.010" max="1.150" step="0.001" data-bind="value: Gravity" />

This gives you a native HTML slider control.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Graham wrote:I am stunned. I thought that it had long fallen into disuse, under the weight of recent competitive stuff, such as spreadsheets and the like. Are people still using it?
It seems like a great first step for those of us dipping our toes into water treatment... are you telling us not to use it? :mrgreen:
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Jocky wrote:It seems like a great first step for those of us dipping our toes into water treatment... are you telling us not to use it? :mrgreen:
No, not at all. I just thought that the current flavour of the month was a certain water-treatment spreadsheet that is very heavily plugged on here and elsewhere by its author.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Graham wrote:
Jocky wrote:It seems like a great first step for those of us dipping our toes into water treatment... are you telling us not to use it? :mrgreen:
No, not at all. I just thought that the current flavour of the month was a certain water-treatment spreadsheet that is very heavily plugged on here and elsewhere by its author.
Not by all Graham, not by all.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Eric wrote:
Graham wrote:
Not by all Graham, not by all.
There are people who do try and suggest that perhaps there are other alternative approaches that may very well have a better result :0

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 pm

And the good news is, I managed to find the correct version in an old JBK site backup, so all should now be correct and at the latest version!

I put the blame firmly on a combination of old age and excessive alcohol consumption in my youth. :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Awesome. I have been using the one on here. Ive tried them all but its the only one that seemed to "stick"

Rubbery
Piss Artist

Post by Rubbery » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks Jim. It is working perfectly now :D

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 pm

DerbyshireNick wrote:Awesome. I have been using the one on here. Ive tried them all but its the only one that seemed to "stick"
I'm relatively new to all of this water stuff, but find Graham's calculator great and straight forward to use :)

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%