Vienna Lager

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Vienna Lager

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:08 pm

hi all,

so at a basic level of water treatment I am trying to get the alkalinity of my water to match the style. Then I started to look at what would be needed for a Vienna lager (as I found a recipe that looked good) and it does not seem to be so clear.
Lager is usually a low value but then it seems Vienna has a high value (over 100). Is this just peculiar to the this type of lager?
The recipe uses mainly Vienna malt with some munich, melaniodin and chocolate.

I was going to go for 100 for the mash and then 25 for the sparges.

Chris

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Vienna Lager

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 pm

Chrissyr63 wrote:hi all,

so at a basic level of water treatment I am trying to get the alkalinity of my water to match the style. Then I started to look at what would be needed for a Vienna lager (as I found a recipe that looked good) and it does not seem to be so clear.
Lager is usually a low value but then it seems Vienna has a high value (over 100). Is this just peculiar to the this type of lager?
The recipe uses mainly Vienna malt with some munich, melaniodin and chocolate.

I was going to go for 100 for the mash and then 25 for the sparges.

Chris
No, that commonly quoted alkalinity level wouldn't likely make a good beer with the sort of grist needed, a Vienna Lager would require a lower level the alkalinity as you supposed. Maybe 50ppm tops for the mash.

Not making proper lagers I have little to offer except viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63415 is an alternative that I've used with variations to produce some rather good beers. The thread is worth a read by itself.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:09 pm

thanks Eric,

that recipe for Nagra modelo seems very close to what the GH one is.
My confusion was around the reported fact that Vienna water was a lot more alkaline than other lager regions so they modified the recipe and grain to 'fix' this ! There is a bit of chocolate in the mix but doubt at such a small level it has much impact other than colour.

C

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Follow your own intuition, you'll probably have much more to gain.
Don't know what your starting profile might be but the healthy dose of chloride suggested by pdtnc produced some lovely flavours and character.
Good luck.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.