How to fit filter to bathroom tap

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

How to fit filter to bathroom tap

Post by Cozzyb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on fitting an inline filter (the type with john guest fittings either side) to a bathroom mixer tap (the type that you pull upwards and move left or right for temp. I only really have access to this tap in regards to brewing so need some way to filter this water quicker then my current method of using a brita/buying bottled water.

Hope someone can help.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: How to fit filter to bathroom tap

Post by themadhippy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:28 pm

look under the sink and there should be 2 pipes,suss winch one is cold ,cut it and fit the filter,one thing worth checking is the tap is mains fed not tank fed.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:01 pm

themadhippy wrote:look under the sink and there should be 2 pipes,suss winch one is cold ,cut it and fit the filter,one thing worth checking is the tap is mains fed not tank fed.
Rented property is the only thing stopping me doing this, there are kits on ebay with a tap and at the bottom is something you screw in a pin that pierces the pipe and feeds water to itself, but as above rented means I don't really dare.

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:59 am

How are the taps connected to the copper pipework? If there's a braided flexi hose you should be able to get a compression tee inbetween the pipe and the flexihose and take a supply off the side of that. When you leave simply remove the tee and return it to how it was before...

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Prompted by BenB's "braided hose", what sort of shower do you have? Maybe you could unscrew the shower head on brew days and run the shower cold through a filter.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:23 pm

vacant wrote:Prompted by BenB's "braided hose", what sort of shower do you have? Maybe you could unscrew the shower head on brew days and run the shower cold through a filter.
I like this idea, its the usual metal braided hose most showers have that screws onto the head and can be removed.

DerbyshireNick

Post by DerbyshireNick » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:59 am

There are devices that you can fit to the end of mixer taps that have a male "shlong" that pushes into a standard hose pipe. If you can adapt that?

Another option could be rigging something to a bucket, I am not sure how much pressure you would need to get the water to push through an inliner but even if it was something you left overnight to run though it could work as a non-intrusive-renter-friendly-water-filter-solution-copyright. I have had buckets before with tank connectors on that I could screw tap connector pipes onto. Worked nicely. Used to use them as blow offs and all sorts.