Slaked lime?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Slaked lime?

Post by simple one » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Where can I buy slaked lime?

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Slaked lime?

Post by Eadweard » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 is what you're after. It's available on Amazon and ebay.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Slaked lime?

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:25 pm

I have now tried using slaked lime twice, in my first 2 AG brews since moving to a high alkalinity area.

I am still awaiting a "proper" water analysis (later this week, hopefully), but according to gh/kh test kit results I have been able to reduce my water from 231 ppm CaCO3 to 44 ppm with the real beauty of the process being that it this is done entirely by removing the alkalinity (precipitating it out, along with a little calcium), with nothing added. Using this water with a few adjustments (gypsum, CaCl and acidulated malt) I have hit mash phs of 5.3 and 5.2, pretty much bang on both times (I was aiming for 5.2).

I bottled my first batch yesterday and it was tasting very good going in. So far I have to say that I am very happy with this water treatment process. One downside of course is that you need to plan a couple of days in advance (I find it takes 48 hours for my water to drop clear), but I really can't think of any others - and the required chemicals are very readily available and cheap. You do, I think, need a decent set of scales accurate to 0.1g but again these are rather cheap these days.