Liquor for decoction mashing

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
MARMITE

Liquor for decoction mashing

Post by MARMITE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am

I've spent a lot of time on water treatment and think I've about got the hang of it. However, both CBA Factsheet no1 and Murphys give advice on brewing lagers but both refer to single infusion only. I'm not sure why decoction mashing should be different but I use this method for both lager and wheat beers.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Liquor for decoction mashing

Post by Hanglow » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:12 pm

MARMITE

Post by MARMITE » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks for that.I think I've sorted it using a mix of Tap and Tesco Ashbeck to get a similar water profile.
I'm now turning my attention to lager where very soft water seems to be required.
The problem is the calcium where even if you start with RO water, you can't add calcium without adding an anion which presumably has to be chloride.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:09 pm

MARMITE wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 am
I'm now turning my attention to lager where very soft water seems to be required.
That's a fallacy!
MARMITE wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 am
The problem is the calcium where even if you start with RO water, you can't add calcium without adding an anion which presumably has to be chloride.
That too, is not correct!

wessexwyvern

Post by wessexwyvern » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:54 pm

I agree.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Yup. Pilsner Urquell might be brewed with very soft water, but there's no need for it to brew a great pilsner with normal water adjustment.

My house pilsner is brewed with water over 250ppm alkalinity, and no one could tell me there's anything wrong with it.

If you have been able to successfully hit your mash pH for an infusion mash then in practice a decoction is near enough the same, you just mash in thinner to start.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.