Mineral additions to sparge water?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Lanky94
Tippler

Mineral additions to sparge water?

Post by Lanky94 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Hello all.

I am about to jump from BIAB to 3 vessel with a plan to fly sparge. I am reasonably content with water treatment, but for those who use a 3 vessel system, do you treat your strike liquor to the desired profile only, or both strike and sparge.?

I look forward to your expertise.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Mineral additions to sparge water?

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:21 am

Any treatment will depend upon the mineral content of the water used.

Primarily it is essential to adjust alkalinity to that suitable for the style and grist used. As sugars progressively dimish during fly sparging, pH rises as the sparge continues unless measures are taken. Sparge liquor alkalinity should be less than for the mash and as calcium reduces pH, unless the sparge water has adequate cacium, salts should be added.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Lanky94
Tippler

Post by Lanky94 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 am

HI Eric.
So provided I have the alkalinity correct during the mash, would I use normal untreated sparge water and then measure the ph of my final running's and go from there?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am

Lanky94 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 am
HI Eric.
So provided I have the alkalinity correct during the mash, would I use normal untreated sparge water and then measure the ph of my final running's and go from there?
No, too late by then. As Eric said you need to lower the sparge water alkalinity, somewhere between 20-30 ppm, you want to avoid pH rising and undoing all the good work of getting it into the right range in the mash. You are looking for your final runnings to be under pH 6 when the sparge is finished.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Lanky94
Tippler

Post by Lanky94 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Ok got it. Thanks Orlando. On a side note, I am moving to Norfolk soon, where I seem to the remember the water is hard and probably quite alkaline. I would imagine its OK for darker beers, but requires treatment for pale ales etc. As you live there, do you have any top tips on water treatment for this area please?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Sure. First thing you do is become a member of Norwich Brewing Club . Then get yourself a water report from wallybrew on here. The main problem with our water is the alkalinity levels. Get rid of the appropriate amout of that and it's possible to brew quite a lot of beer styles with the water as is.

Whereabouts are you moving to?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

shepp
Sober

Post by shepp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:04 pm

[quote=orlando post_id=840093 time=1545377191 user_id=8970]
[quote=Lanky94 post_id=840087 time=1545350053 user_id=19270]
HI Eric.
[/quote]

No, too late by then. As Eric said you need to lower the sparge water alkalinity, somewhere between 20-30 ppm, you want to avoid pH rising and undoing all the good work of getting it into the right range in the mash. You are looking for your final runnings to be under pH 6 when the sparge is finished.
[/quote]

I hope it's alright to jump in here.
Are you saying that I was making a stout where I lower my hard water from alkalinity 210 to 90 ppm, would I still need to lower my sparge water even lower to 20-30ppm?
thanks

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:37 pm

I hope it's alright to jump in here.
Are you saying that I was making a stout where I lower my hard water from alkalinity 210 to 90 ppm, would I still need to lower my sparge water even lower to 20-30ppm?
thanks
Jump in whenever you like, the water's lovely. :D

For a Stout, down to 150 might be a better target, as often Stouts will have a grain bill that provides quite a lot of acidity anyway. But your sparge water should always be 20-30 ppm regardless.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

shepp
Sober

Post by shepp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Great, many thanks.

Lanky94
Tippler

Post by Lanky94 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 pm

orlando wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm
Sure. First thing you do is become a member of Norwich Brewing Club . Then get yourself a water report from wallybrew on here. The main problem with our water is the alkalinity levels. Get rid of the appropriate amout of that and it's possible to brew quite a lot of beer styles with the water as is.

I would welcome joining the club in Norwich deffo. How often do you meet?

I move to Marham in July (Narfalk lad anyhow, born in Narwich).

Do Ineed an RO system, or have been living in the USA too long to think that? lol!

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Lanky94 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 pm
orlando wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm

I would welcome joining the club in Norwich deffo. How often do you meet?

I move to Marham in July (Narfalk lad anyhow, born in Narwich).

Do Ineed an RO system, or have been living in the USA too long to think that? lol!

3rd Monday of each month 7-30 for 8pm start at The Coachmakers Arms on St. Stephens Street Narwich.

No, you've been living in the USA too long. :D

Sign up to the site so you can have access to all the info and receive invites to all events. Shame you don't move till July we have our Amateur Beer Festival in June. 8)

Fermenting:
Conditioning: