Water additions in braumeister...

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Water additions in braumeister...

Post by Brewedout » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 pm

If you do full volume mashing in a braumeister, do you need to add all the calcium sulphate and chloride? If you do what about the boil as this needs enough present too doesn't it?

Can anyone knowledgeable clarify here?

In 38l of liquor GWs calculator suggests 8.49g CaSO4, 4.6g CaCl2.

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Water additions in braumeister...

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm

I full volume mash in my BM. I make my additions when mashing in. Interested also to hear others views on this.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 am

All the additions in the mash according to the volume of liquor and treat the sparge liquor the same.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for the info, went with the sparging method this morning. I have done full volume mashing previously but wasn't sure about salts in the boil.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am

Brewedout wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm
Thanks for the info, went with the sparging method this morning. I have done full volume mashing previously but wasn't sure about salts in the boil.
All the salts in all the liquor as I'm filling the BM ... Job done.

Actually that's not strictly true, Partially fill the BM and add 2/3 of any required acid for alkalinity reduction, fill BM to required volume, measure alkalinity and add final acids for alkalinity reduction, start heating, after 5 to 10 minutes add ALL required calcium sulphate stir, add calcium chloride, stir ... Job done.

If I'm using the sparge method, I wait till it's at mash temp, and then take of the sparge liquor into a insulated container, before adding the grist.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Aleman wrote:
Brewedout wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 pm
All the salts in all the liquor as I'm filling the BM ... Job done.

Actually that's not strictly true, Partially fill the BM and add 2/3 of any required acid for alkalinity reduction, fill BM to required volume, measure alkalinity and add final acids for alkalinity reduction, start heating, after 5 to 10 minutes add ALL required calcium sulphate stir, add calcium chloride, stir ... Job done.

If I'm using the sparge method, I wait till it's at mash temp, and then take of the sparge liquor into a insulated container, before adding the grist.
Thanks Aleman, this is nice and clear.

What gave me some uncertainty was from a distant memory when I started brewing where GWs Brew Your Own... mentioned adding additional salts to the boil.