Liquor treatment with a big deadspace

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Liquor treatment with a big deadspace

Post by MTW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I recently got a 1-pot machine (Klartein Munschenk 30L) which has an 8L recoverable deadspace below the basket in which the grains sit. Instead of just treating and striking with my old 2.5L/Kg, I now have to put 8L in before I start, all of which will affect the mash pH somehow. That means I can be mashing with well over 2/3 of the total liquor being used, even on a moderate grain bill.

Once I start the pump to recirculate, around 10 mins into the mash, the liquor in the deadspace will start to mix in gradually, though I imagine it takes a while for the whole pot to even out. Guessing the pH in the meantime seems tricky. Any tips would be welcome!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Liquor treatment with a big deadspace

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Is the deadspace in contact with the rest of the water? If so i wouldnt worry too much, or maybe recirc at the start?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:21 pm
Is the deadspace in contact with the rest of the water? If so i wouldnt worry too much, or maybe recirc at the start?
Yes, it's all the same vessel, but the grains sit on a mesh which is 8L up above the base. It's only a 'deadspace' in the sense that there are no grains in it. Running the pump (recirculating back to the top) immediately can compress the grain bed before it has fully absorbed - apparently - and leaving it 10 minutes can avoid the sort of stuck mash that I had the first time out. It's not so much just that 10 minutes or whatever though, I'm just wondering whether people generally have a particular plan for liquor treatment with these systems, considering it's a bit different to doughing in at a typical rate.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 pm

Account for all the liquor in the water treatment, You may find that you need to drop the alkalinity further than you would normally to get the mash pH to fall in the right zone.

When I was mashing in my 3V kit at 2.5L/Kg I would drop the alkalinity to 25-30mg/L since switching to the Braumeister I have had to drop it to 15mg/L ... obviously thats for pale beers, same applies for darker beers as well though

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 am

Aleman wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 pm
Account for all the liquor in the water treatment, You may find that you need to drop the alkalinity further than you would normally to get the mash pH to fall in the right zone.

When I was mashing in my 3V kit at 2.5L/Kg I would drop the alkalinity to 25-30mg/L since switching to the Braumeister I have had to drop it to 15mg/L ... obviously thats for pale beers, same applies for darker beers as well though
Much appreciated.