g wheelers water calculator

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
paulg
Steady Drinker

g wheelers water calculator

Post by paulg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:25 pm

a quick question re the calculator.
If i set the method of Carbination reduction to CRS it puts the residual alkalinity to 20.If i wish to brew a porter do I need to change this number to my required residual alcalinity ie 120 or does the calculator automatically include a suitable alcalinity.
The reason I ask is if I change the number to 120 it of course lowers the amount of CRS needed by about 30% from 0.74ml/l to 0,54 .I note if I change the beer style the amount of CRS does change so I assume it is automatic

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Re: g wheelers water calculator

Post by Brewedout » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:05 pm

If I understand your question, I think Graham's notes answer this...

Select the method of carbonate reduction. If using CRS, set the residual alkalinity figure if you have a preference. If you have no preference, leave it at the default, which is the generally recommended minimumfigure for a bitter. However, if the carbonate figure in the target liquor row is greater than the residual figure, the residual figure is ignored and the target figure is used for the calculation instead. In almost all cases the residual figure will be overridden by the target figure when using CRS.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

paulg
Steady Drinker

Post by paulg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:17 pm

I think I understand now Grahams calculator has a lower carbonate figure for porter 50 than I understood to be the target 100-150.I also didnt notice the different carbonate as Co3 and my numbers being in CaCo3
thanks for the help Brewedout

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:32 pm

No worries

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk