South East water profiles

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
spook100
Piss Artist

South East water profiles

Post by spook100 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:30 pm

If you live in an area serviced by South East Water, this is a fairly hand tool:
https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/my-wat ... y-hardness
Enter your post code and it returns hardness as CaCO3 and there is a link below to a full water report.

It's quite surprising, to me, how much variation there is: within 10 miles of my house I can find water ranging from 90 - 300 ppm CaCo3
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: South East water profiles

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 am

Typically they are averages and sampled every 6 months. Buy a Salifert kit to check alkalinity before every brew and get yourself a Brewers water report from wally brew of this Parish.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:36 am

Yes, I'm in a different region but similar applies: houses just a couple of miles away from my flat have different source(s) of supply to me. But as Orlando says there often aren't many samples taken, so variation in their timing can also make there appear to be more regional variation than there really is. Due to the potential for variation brew to brew, I would second the use of an alkalinity test kit to use on brew day.

BTW although the hardness is offered up front on that website, it is the total alkalinity we generally want to know. They can both be expressed as CaCO3 (and sometimes the alkalinity is called 'carbonate hardness'), so frequently a source of confusion.
Kev

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:07 pm

The website give my CaCO3 as 265. Wally brew gives 269. It never varies by more than a point or two but we are less than a mile from the waterworks /pumping Station. Water pressure was 12 bar before we had it reduced. :shock:
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble