Brita filters

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Brita filters

Post by Reg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:25 pm

I was going through the garage about a week ago and found one of these still in its box.

It seems to work well enough and does it's job quite quickly. I was thinking of using it for gallon test brews. What does it filter out and what does it leave in?

BitterTed

Post by BitterTed » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Here's a link that may or may not help. The info is old, but I think it is still accurate.
http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/ ... a0596.html

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:17 am

I used this type of jug filter for the last couple of years, they work great, but painfully slow when you're doing a 5 gallon batch.

Only I wouldn't pay for the Brita name. Paying for the Brita named cartridges are a rip off at around £8 each I think. I used to get mine from a discount homeware store called QD, who seem to only be in the East Anglia region. They sell a pack of 3 cartridges for £3.98

I've checked Reg, there is a QD store in Stevenage right near you. Might save some some dosh.

niall

Post by niall » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:43 pm

Here's a link that may or may not help. The info is old, but I think it is still accurate.
http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/ ... a0596.html
Great link Bitterted. I've been wondering how to soften the Dublin water without taking out a degree in chemistry. I've been reading a little on water treatment but to the scientifically challenged it's a bit overwhelming.

The water in Ireland is very high in bicarbonates (typically 250-350) which makes it very suitable for mashing darker beers such as stouts - surprise, surprise. Not so for Pale Ales so I wonder if the Brita may be a good solution for mini mashing? The link mentioned that this filter does soften the water so hopefully it may be enough without resorting to brewing salts...