Hillbilly brewing website

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Bigster wrote:I normally make my wine from scratch but have tried a few beaverdales - are the kits you use the next step up from those in quality and how much do you pay for 30 bottles.
The kit I made up on my website is from the Vintners reserve world vineyard collection, it cost me £46.95, the vintners reserve range cost around £42.95.

I have made Beaverdale wines myself and have been delighted with them, I sometimes prefer a less robust wine during the summer months. I have a few bottles of Beaverdale Rioja and Chardonnay in my wine racks.

I am also a big fan of the Selection wine kits, not cheap at £59.50, take it from me they are worth every penny. These kits must be left at least 6 months to mature imho to enjoy them at their best.

As a general rule, the more grape juice that the wine kit contains, the more robust it will be. I prefer a more robust, full bodied wine during the winter months.
prodical2 wrote:No wonder you have been quite for a while it must of taken ages to bring all of that info together, what a great resource and a fine compliment to DaaBs site.
Yeah, looking at it now I realise how much time and effort I have put in to it! I deliberately tried to create something differant to DaaB's excellent site, judging by everyone's kind remarks I think I have suceeded.

I have been brewing for about 26 years now, ag for 11 years. I thought I knew it all until I arrived here, did I get a wake up call! I have picked up loads of useful tips and sound advice here and I feel that I have fine tuned my brews in the last year or so thanks to everyone here, therefore I feel that it is only fair that I should try to give something back.

Love the Moxy jibes by the way, Mrs H thinks they are hilarious!
Last edited by Horden Hillbilly on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:57 pm

I just thought that I should give this a cheeky bump up as there have been loads of new members join since I introduced this website.

I have also added a few new pages to it recently, as all the brews which were made on there have all been tried, tested & enjoyed!

The finished lager.

The finished wine.

The finished beer.

General info.

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Looking good there HB

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Loads of great info there HH.

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 am

A smashing site, must have taken a lot of planning and work.

Martin the fish

Post by Martin the fish » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 pm

I found HH's site before i found DaaBs and this forum. Google NZ is different to Google UK.
I thought it was excellent and i still go there to read it and pick up bits and bob's. Because of his excellent 'how to' do wine kits i'm getting myself one tomorrow. Convinced that i can knock one of those up now.
During my first AG i had JBK open and HH's site open. So i could ask Q's on this forum(early on-you all go to bed when i'm getting up :( ) and refer to pic's on HH's site for more guidance.

I think the home page with HH there in his natural environment was friendly and welcoming. It made me smile too :D

Well done HH. Must be quite nice to think that people in New Zealand searching on the net for brewing info will find your site quite easily and enjoy it.
10/10 without a doubt =D>

P.S. Don't send the cheque in english pounds as i can't cash it here :wink: :lol:

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:22 am

Great site HB, Like the classy labels aswell, good job.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:59 pm

I have been busy again, here are a few more pages to look at.

Sparging options.
Batch sparging calculations.
Batch sparging.

I have also updated this page, Fly sparging.

Many thanks to DaaB for letting me link from my batch sparging calculations page to his batch sparge & volume calculater page. :)

Update 2/3/08.

I have updated this page, Filtering the wine.

Horden Hillbilly

Re: Hillbilly brewing website

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Just to let you know that I am adding a few new pages on my website, I am spliting a Whitelabs yeast using Jim's method & it will be recorded on my website.

Pronay

Post by Pronay » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 am

Great website, it's been in my Favorites for a while. I pretty much adopted/copied the same way of making 5 gallon kit wines, I now much prefer using the 2 5 Gallon fermenters, rather than Better Bottles (use those for TC now :) )

Thanks for the great site HH.

willb
Piss Artist

Post by willb » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:19 am

Just found this, what a great read