Sodding 'CRYSTAL'

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
mashweasel

Sodding 'CRYSTAL'

Post by mashweasel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Gents,

Every time I research a recipe of any kind from an UK brewery and they use some type of crystal malt then always say 'crystal' with no color indication. It seems like its standard practice. Do you guys find the same thing? Is there one that seems to be used more than others like most of the style around here is the Simpsons Medium, Dark and Extra Dark. Its bloody infuriating! :)

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Err, crystal means bog-standard crystal. It is possible to get lighter (and possibly darker) crystal malt but I can't see the point. I suppose it must be annoying if you have a particular recipe you have to stick to.

delboy

Post by delboy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Bog standard is 120 EBC or 60 Lovibond.

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:56 pm

I think the standard know is 55-60L

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:45 pm

DaaB wrote:I thought Graham Wheeler mentions somewhere that his recipes assume 80 L crystal but I can't seem to find it, I did find this written by him though.
Graham wrote:Crystal malt in Britain, without further qualification, is deemed to have a colour of 150 EBC, (about half of that in Lovibond).
The "Standard" Medium colour varies slightly from producer to producer.

French and Jupp 140 EBC
Faucett 130 EBC
Warminster 145 EBC
Pauls (Greencore) 160 EBC
Bairds 150 EBC

It is fairly new to have different colours of crystal available from the same maltster, perhaps influenced by microbreweries or even American influence. In the old days there was just the one standard crystal from each maltster.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Can I add Tuckers who quoted their crystal to me as being 125EBC.

mashweasel

Post by mashweasel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Thats what I thought. Crystal used to be standard in that each maltster had a slightly different color seemingly around 140EBC (~70L). That makes much more sense when I plot out the recipes. When I tried to use 110 EBC it just wouldn't come out right. Thanks a ton guys.