Calling Beer Engine experts

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 pm

What do I call it when we make it at home with venison?
Perhaps Game Pie?

Mutton is not that popular in GB, though Prince Charles has tried to push it.

Mountain lamb tastes sweeter :wink:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:20 pm

babalu87 wrote:Image

How to get at that o-ring on the left?

Strap wrench, righty tighty lefty loosey?

Mine still has a touch of "taint" to it

Thanks
You dismantle it from the other side (i.e. the opposite end to the shaft). There's an nylon 'nut' with four holes in it, just like the piece to the right in the pic. I made a special tool with a small piece of wood and 2 nails. It would probably be possible to improve on that design. :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

babalu87

Post by babalu87 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks so much Jim!!!!!!!!!

Glad I didnt have it with a strap wrench :oops:

Mmmmmmmmmmm
Venison Pie

We used to make goose pie and duck pie when I hunted ducks more often.
I need to get back to duck/goose hunting, good times.

stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Back to those who were interested in polypins, check out Millets (sp?), used to be famouse army stores (in Bishop Auckland any way). I've just picked up a 15 litre "water carrier" for £4.99.

Gonna hook it up to my newly won Beer Engine which is now at my brothers, in his shed, awaiting it's first runout :wink:

russt1969

Post by russt1969 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm guessing the idea is that the water carriers are the collapsable type.
Think I'm on your wave length here :)

stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am

russt1969 wrote:Hi Steve,
I'm guessing the idea is that the water carriers are the collapsable type.
Think I'm on your wave length here :)
Yep, just filled mine up with water for a quick rinse then will sanitise and fill with 15 litres of my lowside ale which is still on the high side of hoppyness but, well, it's friday and I want to use my engine, dangit :lol:

Just make sure the one you get has the spout which should take a standard length of pvc hose. I've noticed one or two have "female" type taps which could be a pita. :shock:

smoggy

Re: Calling Beer Engine experts

Post by smoggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 am

Steve, how did you get on with these water carriers? Have just got myself a beer engine and was looking for the best/cheapest option. :D

adm

Post by adm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

Another Beer Engine/Corny question......

If I have a corny full of beer that I fully expect to drink over a couple of days, do I need any kind of cask breather or check valve?

Could I simply put a grey gas disconnect (not connected to any gas) on the gas post to provide a vent, and then connect the beer engine to the beer out?

I'm thinking more for summer BBQs where we've got a bunch of people and the beer will get drunk quickly so I'm not worried about oxidation

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Yep I reckon that's fine after all that is what happened when beer was served from the wood. At the end of a session you could always add a Co2 blanket to preserve the beer and continue drinking the next day.

adm

Post by adm » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am

Scooby wrote:Yep I reckon that's fine after all that is what happened when beer was served from the wood. At the end of a session you could always add a Co2 blanket to preserve the beer and continue drinking the next day.

That's what I thought as well.

I'll give it a try as soon as the weather picks up. I like my gas powered, refridgerated corny system for ease of use, but for showing off, nothing beats a real beer engine!

How do you clean them BTW? Just bung the hose in a bucket of sanitiser and draw a few pints through?

myke2008

Post by myke2008 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:12 am

adm wrote: How do you clean them BTW? Just bung the hose in a bucket of sanitiser and draw a few pints through?
Yep. Depending on what your using you can leave it sitting in the pipes and beer engine for 10 minutes or so aswell if you want.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

adm wrote:
Scooby wrote:Yep I reckon that's fine after all that is what happened when beer was served from the wood. At the end of a session you could always add a Co2 blanket to preserve the beer and continue drinking the next day.

I'll give it a try as soon as the weather picks up. I like my gas powered, refridgerated corny system for ease of use, but for showing off, nothing beats a real beer engine!

Your dead right, I'm on the lookout for one at the moment for exactly that reason :)

Chassyh

Post by Chassyh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:06 pm

New to the forum, but not to Beer n brewing! I have an EWL beer engine which won’t hold its pressure, the Beer drops back into the line even with a ‘ducks bill’ non-return valve on the cask end. I have seen the old posts about refurbing these engines, but none of the pix show up on my device. Have we any updated info on this? Thanks a lot.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Chassyh wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:06 pm
New to the forum, but not to Beer n brewing! I have an EWL beer engine which won’t hold its pressure, the Beer drops back into the line even with a ‘ducks bill’ non-return valve on the cask end. I have seen the old posts about refurbing these engines, but none of the pix show up on my device. Have we any updated info on this? Thanks a lot.
Welcome! I've restored the pics in my earlier post (I used to host them on my old ntl webspace and didn't bother updating all the old ones when I changed ISP). Not sure if they'll help much though.

There's a thread somewhere I started showing the whole BE in bits while I replaced the seals - you can get proper sets for each BE, but I just used normal o-rings from B&Q. I figure you can use them in domestic water supplies so probably food safe (I don't advocate it though :wink: ).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Chassyh

Post by Chassyh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks, it may be helpful once I’ve got inside the cylinder. I assume step one is to undo the large nut with the serrated tail on it at the bottom of the cylinder. Is it right or left hand thread? I’m assuming it will be tight?