Timothy Taylors Landlord Strong Pale Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
tribs

Timothy Taylors Landlord Strong Pale Ale

Post by tribs » Tue May 23, 2006 6:16 pm

Taken and modified from Beer Captured by Mark and Tess Szamatulski. I heartily recommend this book.

20L batch @ ~73% efficiency
OG 1.046
FG 1.012
IBU 33
SRM 9
ABV 4.4%

Malts
------
3.5kg Golden Promise
225g Crystal Malt
115g Belgian Aromatic Malt

Hops
------
30g Fuggles (4%AA) 60 mins
15g Goldings (4.5% AA) 60 mins
20g Goldings (4.5% AA) 15 mins
20g Styrian Goldings (4.5% AA) 2 mins

Mash
------
@ ~66C for 90 mins.

Yeast
------
London Ale Yeast: Wy1028

I am brewing this next, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Fri May 26, 2006 9:24 pm

I have a slightly different TTL recipe (which tasted pretty close to the draught):-

4.7kg Halycon Pale Malt
28g Goldings (60 mins)
50g Fuggles (60 mins)
15g Goldings (10 mins)
Yeast lab "British Ale"

5 UK Gallons, OG 1042, 30IBU

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri May 26, 2006 9:30 pm

Wheeler has an even simpler version in his recipe book which only uses Maris Otter and a single hop variety....

tribs

Post by tribs » Fri May 26, 2006 9:39 pm

I think its no secret that Landlord uses Golden Promise as its base. According to this http://freespace.virgin.net/rich.13/ttlandlord.html the recipe above has the correct hops but claims there are no other malts except the GP.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Fri May 26, 2006 9:51 pm

That told me!

Why do some brewers/judges/tasters (whoever wrote that article) insist on being so pretentious!! :angry: "...with a miasma of citric fruit flavours"...a miasma!! A miasma is an "unwholesome atmosphere" according to my trusty dictionary... :blink:

Edit: Apart from the "miasma" ;), that's a pretty interesting site tribs.. :P

NzDan

Post by NzDan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:32 pm

QUOTE (tribs @ May 23 2006, 05:16 PM)

I am brewing this next, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Tribs how did your Landlord brew go?,
Someone pointed me to this forum because i was after a landlord recipe and they saw yours, it seems like a good clone, im going to try it next week, would you alter anything now that you have done it?,
3.725kg of malt dosnt seem like alot of malt for a 20 litre recipe, my last ipa used 7kg for a 24 litre batch, it was my first AG and I got a pretty low o.g. from all that grain, mind that was due to inneficient sparging.

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:22 pm

NzDan,

I don't know if the health of the yeast was in question or the heatwave we experienced was to blame but it ended up with a slightly off aroma which may have affected the flavour a little too. I dry hopped in the keg with 15g Styrian Goldings and let it age. It is now pretty close but I will probably brew it again with fresh yeast and better control of fermenting temps without the dry hop ;). I can always chuck some Styrian in the keg if its lacking in aroma.

The quantites of malt are assuming 73% efficiency which is the minimum I usually achieve. You should work out the efficiency of your first batch and adjust the quantities accordingly. What was the OG fo your first AG batch? That seems like a lot of malt. I would expect a reasonable OG even with fairly poor efficiency with those quantities.

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:56 pm

NzDan, Are you from New Zealand per chance? - I seem to recall seeing a NzDan on the RealBeer forum :huh:

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Yes - I sent him over here from over there! (realbeer.com) :D

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:09 am

Well done Andy B)

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:06 am

eskimobob wrote:NzDan, Are you from New Zealand per chance? - I seem to recall seeing a NzDan on the RealBeer forum :huh:
Yes Im from New zealand and You probably saw me on either the realbeer new zealand or the USA one.

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:16 am

tribs wrote:NzDan,

I don't know if the health of the yeast was in question or the heatwave we experienced was to blame but it ended up with a slightly off aroma which may have affected the flavour a little too. I dry hopped in the keg with 15g Styrian Goldings and let it age. It is now pretty close but I will probably brew it again with fresh yeast and better control of fermenting temps without the dry hop ;). I can always chuck some Styrian in the keg if its lacking in aroma.

The quantites of malt are assuming 73% efficiency which is the minimum I usually achieve. You should work out the efficiency of your first batch and adjust the quantities accordingly. What was the OG fo your first AG batch? That seems like a lot of malt. I would expect a reasonable OG even with fairly poor efficiency with those quantities.
Ive finally been able to source some golden promise so I will give this one a go in the next couple of weeks.
My first AG had a OG of 1.042 for a 24 litre batch, I guess the extraction was not that good at all, but things have changed now, ive built a better tun and am doing a sort of batch/fly sparge technique, where I mash in, stir, re circulate, start fly sparging for a few litres, top it right up with hot water give it a stir (not too deep) put the lid on leave for a few minutes, stir again, then continue to fly sparge, do this twice until all the water is gone.
The extractions are much better now, last brew 1.056 for 5.7kg at 25 litres.
There is still much to be improved however, but each week gets easier and more is getting extracted.

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:59 am

Will do!
Ive got enough grain to do two batches, so I wouldnt mind trying the wheeler version as well, how much does it differ from the other recipe?

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:33 am

Hey thanks for that I,ll try them both, ive never actually tasted TTL but english friends say it is the zhit.
Its hard to get decent beer here unless you want to pay a premium for the limited range of imported stuff, New Zealand commercial beer is watery tasteless, odourless junk (i,d rather drink an extract brew lol) compared to some of the english beers ive tried such as black sheep youngs, speckled hen and more which puts our stuff to shame.
There are some small breweriess trying to break in to the market, and they make great beer, the problem is us New Zealanders dont know what good beer tastes like and many are reluctant to try anything other than the norm,
Now that I do all grain I cant bring myself to spend anything at the liquor store unless its good imported stuff or from a good local small brewery, if im feeling rich that is.
Ive been told someone in Auckland city sells landlord so I,ll get some and compare from my own brews.

Thanks for the recipe

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:43 am

:shock:

Makes us Brits appreciate what we've got over here!
Dan!