Oakham Ales Bishops Farwell

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
jubby
Under the Table

Oakham Ales Bishops Farwell

Post by jubby » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:46 pm

I could not find this recipe on here. A very friendly chap from the states shared this with me. Checked The Real Ale Almanac and it looks pretty accurate. Just brewed it myself, so too early to comment on the taste.

Bishops Farewell. 25 liters 36 EBU, 4.6%ABV

In the mash: 4.2kg low colour MO and 365g wheat malt

In the boiler: 35g challenger (7.2%) whole boil, 35g cascade (7.1%) last 15 min, 35g cascade at boiler off.

EBU calculated by Beer Alchemy and the brewing efficiency for the grist weight is 90%. I used WLP001.

I am quaffing the bottled version as I write and it's blummin good stuff!
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

smp465
Piss Artist

Post by smp465 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am

Hi Jubby,

I am just bottling a recipe very similar to that, indications at this stage are very promising.

Can i ask what water treatment you use for this type of brew?....i see we are locals. I used 0.67ml/l CRS, nothing else.
Drinking: Double IPA (Mr President Clone)
Drinking: London Porter (5%)
Drinking: Belgian Dubbel (8%)
Conditioning: West Coast Red (5.6%)
Conditioning: Nelson & Friends Series No.1 (Mosaic)
FV: A few spiders
Planning: Everything else!

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am

I wish i could get 90% efficiency. :(

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 am

I get nearer 70% but this weekend was my first using CRS instead of 5.2 and my efficiency was a bit higher than usual....will need to see if this was a one off.

smp465 - I'm a bit further away up the train line but this weekend I used 0.9ml/l of CRS in this weekend's brew (about 215mg/l of alkalinity as CaCO3 measured using DaaBs kit - which is pretty much what Anglian Water say it is).

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 am

I was planning on buying some 5.2, but on testing my mash pH (admittedly with ph strips), i find my mash pH is usually almost dead on 5.2 anyway.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Can i ask what water treatment you use for this type of brew?....i see we are locals. I used 0.67ml/l CRS, nothing else.
smp465, I have spent a while researching water treatments. I use CRS ONLY Used DLS once but it caused harsh tastes in the beer. After asking Anglia Water about the composition, I entered the details into Grahams water calculator which indicated that only CRS (or boiling) was required. Should have done that to start with :oops:

I used one of Daab's alkilinity test kits which indicates an alkalinity of 234mg/l CaCo3 (pretty close to what Anglian water said), therefore i use about 1ml per liter for 20-30 residual. I also use filtered water, just a carbon filter to remove chlorine, flouride and heavy metals.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

smp465
Piss Artist

Post by smp465 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks Steve/Jubby. When i moved up here i got my water report and added ~0.9ml/l CRS and Brupaks recommended levels of DLS. That beer was not good, and a local member on here said he was using just ~0.5ml/l which i have been using until recently. I now reckon the DLS was the spanner in the works on that CRS/DLS brew based on the water report.

I also tested my water with Daab's kit recently and found my Alkalinity to be 210-220 mg/l (over 1 month), suggesting i was under dosing the CRS since dropping it down. I used 0.67ml/l in my last brew, as stated, as this took me below 50mg/l CaCO3 according to Graham's calculator. Efficiency was better (not 90% though), and initial tastings are very promising. Might go for 0.9ml/l on my next brew and throw the DLS in the bin!

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Might go for 0.9ml/l on my next brew and throw the DLS in the bin!
Best place for it smp. Despite the Brupacks sales blurb, it's not required with our water composition.

If you fancy talking bo**ocks over a couple of pints in Cambridge sometime, send me a pm. (that includes any other members near Cambridge that may read this post.)
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

smp465
Piss Artist

Post by smp465 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 pm

I'll take you up on that, couple of beers in the great pubs off Mill Rd? Busy for next week, but will PM you.

Hope that isn't a photo of you, we might be thrown out before we finish our first pint!

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 am

great pubs off Mill Rd
Kingston Arms or Cambridge Blue perhaps.
Hope that isn't a photo of you, we might be thrown out before we finish our first pint!
Nope. Not far off though.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

smp465
Piss Artist

Post by smp465 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm

PM sent. Anyone else up for it? The pubs suggested are walking distance from the train station.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Oakham Ales Bishops Farwell

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 pm

jubby wrote:
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:46 pm
I could not find this recipe on here. A very friendly chap from the states shared this with me. Checked The Real Ale Almanac and it looks pretty accurate. Just brewed it myself, so too early to comment on the taste.

Bishops Farewell. 25 liters 36 EBU, 4.6%ABV

In the mash: 4.2kg low colour MO and 365g wheat malt

In the boiler: 35g challenger (7.2%) whole boil, 35g cascade (7.1%) last 15 min, 35g cascade at boiler off.

EBU calculated by Beer Alchemy and the brewing efficiency for the grist weight is 90%. I used WLP001.

I am quaffing the bottled version as I write and it's blummin good stuff!
Having enjoyed this from the cask locally I tried this recipe, admittedly only my second ever brew, but tasted good, thanks.

It remained slightly hazy even after 3 months bottle conditioning. Is this likely to be the relatively small amount of wheat or maybe related to the very cold weather we had and conditioning in the garage? None of my other 4 brews have had this happen, it is the only one containing any wheat. It is not a pouring / yeast sedimenting issue.

It was less evident after a couple of weeks at room temperature before pouring. Any advice would be gratefully received.