Sticking Munton's (Woodfordes) Kits - Information and offer

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.

The question was 'If you have brewed a Muntons/Woodforde's kit, did it drop to the advertised final gravity'?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 259

ebbadger

Post by ebbadger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 am

Only done 1 woodfordes kit (Admirals) and it was my first ever, not being entirely sure what I was doing and not knowing about this forum at the time i wrongly added a kilo of demerera... oops, OG was 1060........

However I stuck with it after advice from this forum and it fermented to 1014 after 10 days, slightly high but more than happy with the finished result for a first attempt for a brewing virgin......

Cheers Steve

Jimjiber

Post by Jimjiber » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 am

Just checked the brew and it's still stuck at around 1016. Also, the nasty little bits of dead yeast crud are still floating around just below the surface.

Is it safe to transfer to the barrel yet or should I give it more time for those bits to settle. To be honest they appear to be suspended about 1cm below the surface and not moving at all.

The brew has been in the bin for 9 days now.

On a more positive note, I tried what's left of my first brew last night and it is almost clear! Shame I've only got a quarter of it left... :roll:

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Jimjiber wrote:Just checked the brew and it's still stuck at around 1016. Also, the nasty little bits of dead yeast crud are still floating around just below the surface.

Is it safe to transfer to the barrel yet or should I give it more time for those bits to settle. To be honest they appear to be suspended about 1cm below the surface and not moving at all.
If it's been stuck at 1016 for a few days, it's likely that it has finished. It is a bit high, but I'd bottle/keg it at that rather than mess about with it too much.

Most of the bits of dead yeast will probably adhere to the side to the fermenter as you syphon/drain out from near the bottom. In any case, any bits which transfer over should settle out in the keg.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:16 pm

ebbadger

i wrongly added a kilo of demerera... oops, OG was 1060........
I would serve that up in shot glasses when it's ready to drink! :wink:
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

geordieshaun

Post by geordieshaun » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm a long time viewer, first time poster here.

I started my 2nd ever kit on Tuesday and after seeing some of the posts about stuck fermentations I found myself wishing I had bought a different kit.

But I just checked with the hydrometer and am getting a reading of 1.010 after roughly 3 days.
My mate has bought 5 packs of the cheap Wherry they are selling for £15 on BIY, I got an email saying the BBE is July 2010- so I'll see how that goes.
My kit was dated BBE July 2010.

Shaun

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Shaun. 8)

Good to hear your Woodeforde's has worked out well, 1010 is a great FG. Perhaps Munton's have finally got to grips with this issue?

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Good to hear your Woodeforde's has worked out well, 1010 is a great FG
I will second that, well done. It's a shame that there are no posts from Muntons, it would have been nice to know if there were any problems in the past that have now been sorted. It would give prospective customers a little more confidence in their products.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:10 pm

geordieshaun wrote:Hi all,

I'm a long time viewer, first time poster here.

I started my 2nd ever kit on Tuesday and after seeing some of the posts about stuck fermentations I found myself wishing I had bought a different kit.

But I just checked with the hydrometer and am getting a reading of 1.010 after roughly 3 days.
My mate has bought 5 packs of the cheap Wherry they are selling for £15 on BIY, I got an email saying the BBE is July 2010- so I'll see how that goes.
My kit was dated BBE July 2010.

Shaun
Nice seeing a 1010 on a Wherry!
What was the OG Shaun and do you know what temp you kept it at?
sounds a fast 'un.

My wherry expriment update:
2 Wherrys on the go - seems to be done at 4.0%.
I suppose if i did the full 23L It'll be 'round 3.8%
4.5 % my arse!

All the wherrys and if fact Muntons I have done before at 23L have a OG of around 1048-50 I wonder why this batch is so low?
I've done two, so it's not as if I have made a mistake

fv1- 22L OG 1040 day 7 1014 (1014 for 4 days)
fv2- 22L OG 1040 day 7 1014

even though its been at 1014 for days I still see the odd bubble.
I'm going to give it a gentle stir and leave it until Wednesday- if the SG is still the same I'll keg, otherwise leave until next weekend.

I've kept the batch numbers this time!

geordieshaun

Post by geordieshaun » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi thanks for the welcome :D

Blinky, the OG was about 1.040 temp is 22C (I hope thats not too high ?)

Just checked it again and its still 1.010 so its finished, I'm planning on leaving it until Tuesday or Wednesday before it goes in the barrel.

Think I'm going to buy an FV with a tap on it for my next brew, probably an EDME stout kit :lol:

Shaun

Damfoose

Post by Damfoose » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 pm

I have had a Wherry on for 2 days now and due to all the problems people have had I have decided to check its gravity once a day. After the first day fermenting it had not droped very much but today it is down to 1018 and still fermenting like a good un so hopefully it should reach the target of 1010 by Saturday even if it reaches it over the next few days its going to be left.

Update Edit
Wherry down to 1014 ish after 3 days so I have a feeling I may be kegging this tomorrow night.

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:09 pm

as per my previous posts- well and truly finished at 1014 so kegged today.. I could have done this last Thursday!

I've got some more 'experiments' to do with the same batch which will be few weeks off now (6 kits left!)

next up is safale04 vs Kit yeast- side by side at 22C

my last brew was all safale04, but was interested in Shaun's result as we had the same BBE on the box ( I misread mine).

I stopped using the kit yeast a while back as the beer never seem to clear, with safale04, it was crystal clear within 3 weeks.

we will see what happens.

Blinky.

Damfoose

Post by Damfoose » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Update on my Wherry .. its down to 1013 and still bubbeling every 5 min or so means its still fermenting which is a good thing I am hoping it will be ready for tomorrow so i can get it kegged.

kenny850

Post by kenny850 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 am

Nice to see folk getting a result with Wherry,this was my first ever kit and wouldnt go past 1020 even left it for ten days.I ended up kegging it anyway and it turned out gorgeous but lacking in strength.I wonder if Muntons read this forum and decided to change the recipe after all the negativity surrounding this brew,might have to have another go at this one.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:00 am

My first ever brew was a Wherry which I first bottled at the beginning of August. I followed the kit instructions exactly as written, and being a total newby I had no idea what I was doing with the hydro (stuck it in, but really didn't know what I was looking for, and couldn't really read it through the froth!). None-the-less, it turned out excellent and I've really enjoyed drinking it (shame it's all gone now!). Definately one I'd do again.

vinceg

Post by vinceg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:35 am

Kegged and bottled some Nelsons Revenge last night. It struggled down to 1.014 after 11 days, so will have a sample in a couple of weeks and advise what it's like.