Help! Munton Smugglers Ale going pear shaped ?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Russ

Help! Munton Smugglers Ale going pear shaped ?

Post by Russ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi all any help appreciated, this is my first post.

I'm having problems with my Smugglers.

Started 9.11.06, pitched the rehydrated yeast at 25 oC (OG 1051), fermentation got off to a good start. Brew temp constant 19oC (I'm using a heater and I check this with a thermometer)

Think this is where I've gone wrong- 14.11.06 (Gravity 1030) Fermentation was slowing down but steady, I moved the brew to secondary under airlock (no splashing using tube from primary bucket's tap)

With hindsight I think moving it to secondary was probably unnecessary, as I'm going to keg the brew - going to follow Daab's advice of 10 days in primary then keg for the next brew. Trouble is by the time I'd read this advice I'd already moved the brew.

I think I may have stalled the fermentation by removing too much yeast by moving to secondary? -within 24 hours of the move fermentation seemed to have pretty much stopped (a problem I think I've had with most of my brews to date- this is the 5th). Now (the 24.11.06) the gravity is still only down to 1024 and fermentation looks to have stopped (no bubbles in air lock) - the brew tastes good (but a little sweet), and looks cloudy.

Question is how do I start it again?. I'm concidering making a yeast starter and adding Dry Yeast Enzyme and stirring this in. Will this spoil the taste of what promised to be a good ale? or should I just keg it and be happy with a low A.b.v (Not Ideal, this is my Christmas brew!)

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Russ

chunk

Post by chunk » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:16 pm

hello russ
i to have had the same problem with smugglers.
i made up a kit in october using the supplied yeast and left it for 10 days in the bin.
i then kegged it with primings expecting the FG to be at the 1014 mark only to find that it was over 1020.
this was after i had kegged as i was curious as to what the FG was. (should have checked first).
left it at room temprature for a week, then to cold storage for 4 weeks.
tested the brew it was VERY CLOUDY and a bit sweet.
i added gelatine finnings tested again a week later not as cloudy but certainly not clear.
in the meanwhile i made conkerwood using safale yeast and another smugglers.
the conkerwood stopped at 1020 as did the second smugglers.
im drinking the conkerwood at the moment nice tast but again a litte to sweet.
havent tried the second smugglers yet though.
it seem mr troublebrewing is having the same problem.
i emailed the muntons web site in the ask andy slot about this problem but so far have had no reply. :(
muntons not doing what it says on the tin it seems.
you are not alone

colin

Russ

Post by Russ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks DaaB.

Started a yeast culture, will add ASAP.

Colin.

Thanks for the moral support! My previous kits (all Woodefords) have finished with a higher than sugested FG, hence I thaught I'd try a Muntons kit. All have tasted OK but not quite hit the spot!. I'm going to persevere (I have several cans of Woodefords in stock to use). Hope Muntons get back with a reply- let me know if it's useful.

Cheers

Russ

chunk

Post by chunk » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:22 pm

i certainly will. if they reply.
been over 2 weeks now :evil:
maybe others on the forum could e mail aswell and they might look into it :)

Russ

Post by Russ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Right

Added more yeast (Safale) on Saturday. Fermentation started again but sluggish- one bubble per minute through air lock. Is this just going to need patience or do I break out the dry beer enzyme?

Cheers

Russ

Russ

Post by Russ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:47 pm

Ok Thanks Daab

In it goes.......

Russ

Post by Russ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:03 pm

Chucked in Dry beer enzyme and upped the heater temp to 21 (it was 19) while I had the lid off.

and we're off!

Bubbles every 15 seconds in airlock now. That's a bit more like it. I'll let you know what it finishes at.....

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Russ, how did the Smugglers turn out?

Russ

Post by Russ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi StrangeBrew

Finally got it down to FG of 1012 and kegged it on 12 Dec (Into King Keg with some priming sugar) It's not cleared yet but tastes promasing, going to leave it for another week or 2, I'll let you know how she ends up.

Cheers