Campden tablet - when to add?

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Scotty

Campden tablet - when to add?

Post by Scotty » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:49 am

I am about to use campden tablets for the 1st time. I will be boiling the 1st 5l of water (I assume this will get rid of the chlorine?), but I don't know when to add a tablet to the rest of the water. I brew from kits if that helps?

Thanks

**sorry chaps, just realised I've posted this in the wrong section, can mod's please move thanks**

jamesb
Hollow Legs

Re: Campden tablet - when to add?

Post by jamesb » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:51 pm

If your water company doesn't use chloramine in the water, boiling it should be fine. Chloramine isn't given off when boiling so you'd have to add some sodium met (or bit of camden tablet) if that's the case.

For the rest of the water, add half a tablet and stir in when you're ready to add it to the rest of the kit. The tablet should work almost instantly (or so I've been told).
James

"When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:29 pm

does that mean I can make up my brew and then add it?

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:45 pm

thanks Chris, I don't have at present anything large enough to treat the amounts of water required. My water is pretty hard but doen't reek of chlorine.

As my pan holds about 5 litres of water, would it be possible to add a small amount of the crushed tablet to each pot full of water before adding it to the FV?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for this question and the splendid answers so far. I hope you don't mind if I hijack it slightly.

Could anyone tell me how long it takes for sodium metabisulphite to dechlorinate the water and is it temperature dependent?

I've made up a sodium met. solution for dosing my water. Should I add it to cold water and wait OR could I take hot water from the combi boiler (at say 50 degree C) and mix it and my other water conditioning ingredients and immediately raise it to mash temperature?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Eric wrote:Thanks for this question and the splendid answers so far. I hope you don't mind if I hijack it slightly.

Could anyone tell me how long it takes for sodium metabisulphite to dechlorinate the water and is it temperature dependent?

I've made up a sodium met. solution for dosing my water. Should I add it to cold water and wait OR could I take hot water from the combi boiler (at say 50 degree C) and mix it and my other water conditioning ingredients and immediately raise it to mash temperature?
Eric, apparently the reaction is almost instantaneous, so no need to wait. I doubt if the temperature makes much of a differnce - at higher temperatures it will probably go faster. Most people add it to cold water from the tap, afaik.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks Jim, that's great.

This is getting better all the time except I've not found time to brew. I suppose it will all work out for the best in the end. I've rewritten my schedule several times, each with better detail than the last hopefully avoiding many problems.

I think that might be the last question as the answer means an hour saved and it could all happen quite soon.

Cheers.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.