Hop Growing 2009

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Charlie B

Re: Hop Growing 2009

Post by Charlie B » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I have picked some home grown Fuggles which have dried down to about 7oz, they dried 2 days in the airing cupboard and seem to be really dry with the stalks breaking and not bending. The hops seem to have quite a garlic type smell which I have never smelt on hops before, I think they smelt like this before drying as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Have I done something wrong.

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:56 pm

delboy wrote:Ok so the hop harvest is nearly over for the guys living in the balmy south, I was wondering how people up north are getting on with theirs? My own cones (first gold) are still on the small side and look like they have a way to go yet, hopefully this little bit of good weather (N.I for once getting the best of it) will ripen them up pretty quick.
Del, my first year fuggles have produced plenty of cones. I've tried tasting them by pouring hot water over a cone or two in a cup and leaving to cool. The taste is definitely bitter but very grassy. I tried the same with some fuggles from a packet for comparison and it tasted much better. I'm assuming they're not ripe yet but some of them have started to go a bit brown (although most of them are green). Hopefully they'll improve with the recent sun we've been getting but I'm not sure if that's enough to make up for two months of rain!

I havn't done this before so I'm not really sure exactly how to know when it's time to pick them - I've read that they should be harvested between the start and middle of september but I'm pretty sure mine aren't ready yet.
Kegged: 'Nowt
Bottled: Summer Lightning, Belfast Ale, JPA, Guinness Foreign Export
http://www.hopandgrain.com

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:19 am

I'm in Sheffield and the wild hops in my mates garden seem to be getting closer to harvesting - they're drying out a bit and definitely smell stronger. When I looked last week i decided that they weren't quite ready but I don't think ill be leaving it much longer.

Kev

beers_great

Post by beers_great » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:12 pm

delboy wrote:Ok so the hop harvest is nearly over for the guys living in the balmy south, I was wondering how people up north are getting on with theirs? My own cones (first gold) are still on the small side and look like they have a way to go yet, hopefully this little bit of good weather (N.I for once getting the best of it) will ripen them up pretty quick.
Im in Liverpool First Gold Hops were harvested middle of last week. It was my first year and I got about 360g dry weight from 1 bine.
On Saturday I brewed my harvest ale and used about 130g. Im look forward to a big hopy taste from them.

Belto
Piss Artist

Post by Belto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 pm

I still have to pick my first year hops seems I have a reasonable crop.

Drying is the difficult part

For those that have brewed with last years hops has there been any benefit apart from costs?

I.E bittering / aroma

haz66

Post by haz66 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Up here on the Yorks/Lancs border i`ve just harvested my first years crop tonight.

Fuggle did the best
Northdown just behind
Progess a waste of time this time round

I`ll have enough to do a brew though thats all, but i wasnt expecting much this year.

Going to get some more rhizomes for next year and plant them in my garden instead of the father in laws,
so i can better tend them.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 am

were those planted this year or last to give your first yield?
my new planting this year has been disappointing, but they were planted late, and have only grown to about 2 foot high, and no cones.
That's on the only 1 of 3 plants that actually did anything. :(

haz66

Post by haz66 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 pm

They were planted this year, i wasn`t expecting much so quite happy that there may be enough for one
maybe two brews.

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Thinking harvest day is fast approaching, this good weather isn't going to hold much longer i'd imagine so i'll probably gather them in this coming sunday (weather permitting).

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Does anyone dry the hops in the oven at a very low setting?

SiHoltye

Post by SiHoltye » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:12 pm

I passed a commercial hop garden in kent on my travels today and it had been harvested fwiw.

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Did my harvesting last night. Not a bad yield for the first year.

Here they are before the harvest:

After the harvest:

And drying:

Some of them were starting to turn a bit brown so I though it must be time to harvest. I had quite a lot of small cones (in the wooden bowl) so I separated them out from the larger ones (in the stock pot). Anyone know if it's OK to use the small ones or should I just dump them?

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:03 pm

=D> good haul! Very jealous!

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I won't get too carried away - I also had a Mathon Goldings plant that produced 1 single cone :cry:

delboy

Post by delboy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Thats non too shabby jymbo, i might change my plan and harvest what i have tomorrow night (showers on saturday).
Were they first year plants and if so cuttings or rhizhome.

My own plants (2 first gold) were cuttings and they are only now finding there feet 3 years down the line, i might be tempted to purchase some rhizhomes for next year.