Willis RIMS/HERMS? System Project

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
adm

Re: Willis RIMS/HERMS? System Project

Post by adm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 am

By the way.....there's an excellent guide to Sous Vide cooking here:

http://amath.colorado.edu/~baldwind/sous-vide.html

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Link bookmarked for later study - thanks adm!

subsub

Post by subsub » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Lovely looking piece of beef there Adm, looks similar to my salt beef when cooked =D> Liking this thread a lot, good pix too :D

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Adm,

I'm new on here, I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of weeks and stumbled across this thread.

I've just returned to AG brewing after an 8 year break, I was banned from brewing in the new kitchen when it was installed :cry: . I've now got a garage so I've started the brewery back up \:D/ .

Brewing seems to have moved on quite a bit in the last 8 years and I'm looking to update my system. At first I thought that I wanted a HERMS system rather than a RIMS sytem until I came across this thread.

I really like the RIMS setup that you've created, a very neat solution, so much so that I've decided that I NEED a similar system of my own :D

I would like to 'borrow' a number of your ideas, the thing that swung it for me was the use of a Willis Imersion heater. This could almost have been designed specifically for RIMS, but no matter how much I Google I cannot find a retailer for these :dry: , do you have a link(s) to a supplier ?

Could you also give an indication of the cost for one of these ?

Thanks.

adm

Post by adm » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm

SP,

They're actually rather reasonable. The current price is £35 + VAT (with Armaflex insulation). Postage extra at
£10.00. Without insulation, price is £30.00 + VAT. So in total, about £50 delivered.

The only place you can get them that I have found is from Willis themselves in Northern Ireland:
Email: mail@willis-renewables.com
Tel: 028 9078 1236
Fax: 028 9077 4877

Have fun! I'm just about to make another one for a member of this forum, so give me a shout with any questions you may have.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the information, one for my todo list once I get back from holiday :)

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:43 am

adm

Looks like I missed out on yet another Birth of a new system, Trust me to down tools just when RIMS/HERMS takes of big style on JBK

System and your work look FAB and as for the second use of the system, I'm off to look for a baging system me thinks.

:D :D :D :D Great Stuff

oh and I found this.... and you DID

by adm » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Very nice. I'm jealous

Must. Build. HERMS. Heater. Soon.....

adm

Post by adm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks Gary!

I've actually been using the PID controller for a third use over the last month or so - controlling the heat on an electric propagator with my chilli seedlings in.

Very versatile these systems!

T5FAU

Post by T5FAU » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:05 pm

ADM and others... Im hoping someone can assist me in a strange issue i have with my PID.

I have 2 PID controllers in the same enclosure, one controls the HLT via an SSR, the second is just a simple temperature readout on different probes, both PT100. The enclosure is earthed from the main feed in. I also use the same RTD connectors from Auber but are having widely fluctuating readings as soon as they touch the metal enclosure. I get variations of 10C. This stops and stabilises instantly as the connector is detached from the enclosure. Now.. if i detach the earth, the reading is stable with the connector fitted, but i will then get a fluctuating reading when i touch the enclosure :? I obviously need to earth the enclosure.

Ive been firing 30 emails now to Auber and as they are very helpful, they are checking lots, but no resolution as of yet. I see others have also had fluctuating readings and changing FILT settings helped this ? Is this a real solution, or just a cover up to the real problem. Am i getting RF noise on the signal lines ? Or having an Earth loop problem somewhere ?

Arghhh..

adm

Post by adm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 pm

T5FAU wrote:ADM and others... Im hoping someone can assist me in a strange issue i have with my PID.

I have 2 PID controllers in the same enclosure, one controls the HLT via an SSR, the second is just a simple temperature readout on different probes, both PT100. The enclosure is earthed from the main feed in. I also use the same RTD connectors from Auber but are having widely fluctuating readings as soon as they touch the metal enclosure. I get variations of 10C. This stops and stabilises instantly as the connector is detached from the enclosure. Now.. if i detach the earth, the reading is stable with the connector fitted, but i will then get a fluctuating reading when i touch the enclosure :? I obviously need to earth the enclosure.

Ive been firing 30 emails now to Auber and as they are very helpful, they are checking lots, but no resolution as of yet. I see others have also had fluctuating readings and changing FILT settings helped this ? Is this a real solution, or just a cover up to the real problem. Am i getting RF noise on the signal lines ? Or having an Earth loop problem somewhere ?

Arghhh..
I think it's an earthing problem. I fixed mine by just going through all the earth points and making sure everything was properly clean and connected. At first I thought my probe was faulty, but it turned out it was just bad earthing in the end. I didn't change any of the PID parameters.

T5FAU

Post by T5FAU » Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

adm wrote:
T5FAU wrote:ADM and others... Im hoping someone can assist me in a strange issue i have with my PID.

Arghhh..
I think it's an earthing problem. I fixed mine by just going through all the earth points and making sure everything was properly clean and connected. At first I thought my probe was faulty, but it turned out it was just bad earthing in the end. I didn't change any of the PID parameters.
It is rather odd. ADM, looking at your wiring, so you have an earth from both the mains in and out just attached to the chassis ?, I have looped the earth in straight to the earth out with a spliced connection to the chassis ? I cant see that being wrong, unless a loop is occurring somewhere.

T5FAU

Post by T5FAU » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 pm

T5FAU wrote:
adm wrote:

Arghhh..
It is rather odd. ADM, looking at your wiring, so you have an earth from both the mains in and out just attached to the chassis ?, I have looped the earth in straight to the earth out with a spliced connection to the chassis ? I cant see that being wrong, unless a loop is occurring somewhere.

Just in case anyone else has this issue - fluctuating readings on an Auber PID when using RTD with a dis-connect to an earthed enclosure.. Its a controller setting. The PID's have an in built line filter that is used to filter AC noise. As default they are shipped to listen for 60Hz noise, thus missing the 50Hz noise here in the UK. To change, enter the CODE 1262 and set 5060 to 0 (0 = 50Hz and 1 = 60Hz). :)

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks for posting that update T5FAU, I bet many people have the same problem and have not worked out that it could have been this causing it!
I'm grateful as I have two Auber PIDs waiting to be built into a HERMS system (when I get round to it!) and you may just have saved me from a lot of hassle.

schlafsack

Post by schlafsack » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Has anybody else had any luck getting a heater from Willis? They stopped responding to my emails when I asked how much for delivery to London.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Just got my VS in Lidl and will be testing out SV in my RIMS this weekend with a bit of Brisket, wish me luck.