Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
second2none

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by second2none » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:19 pm

I dont have much room in my fridge so never really bother moving them..
I just leave all my bottles in a dark cool room and have never had any problems,
as long as you havent gone crazy with the priming sugar you should be fine.

Maybe chill a few mins before drinking to make more drinkable :)

Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Post by Hank_Marvin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks dude, that's good then, was worried i'd get home to find a mess. Nope just the 45g.

Just noticed your pear brew today so gonna get that one cracking this week.

Thanks

second2none

Post by second2none » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah pear was fun, but its taste kinda disapered, have a go at tweeking the recipe (more pears)
or something totally different but off the top of my head I cant think what goes well with pears apart from cinnamon!

Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Post by Hank_Marvin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I might have a try tonight, will go for extra pears.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 am

i started this one last night, no activity yet probably due to the temp. also trying the strawberry stuff that was there also...... 67p more expensive than the rasberry stuff so it better be good lol

Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Post by Hank_Marvin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Great recipe, had about 5 bottles now, everyone has enjoyed it. slightly over fizzy, got a little bit messy opening lol so next time I'll cut down on priming a bit.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:21 pm

well its just over a week in the Dj's for the rasbery and strawbery, found the rasberry is fermenting foamier nuttin bad tho but both @ 1.020 (ish) started at 1.062 nearly ready for bottling, did u let it finish and clear before bottling? or prime and clear in the bottle?

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 pm

I let it clear in the Dj, it didnt take too long pretty soon after fementation had finshed and them batch primed before bottling them.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:22 am

Well thats what i shall be doing then when its stops.. its slowed right down compared to the strawberry ( that smells amazing @ 1.025now) rasberry is @ 1.016 not as aromatic but will be done first, my blueberry experiment has failed so i will be mass producing one or the other in the 25 litre fermenter after i bleach it out. found the same stuff in tesco (£1) btw an tesco is closer so they better be stocking up lol

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Its a shame to hear about ur blueberry stuff, I kinda copied ur idea and at the moment have some mixer type pure spirt bubbling away!
I was thinking of posting the recipe if it goes well.

What went wrong with ur blueberry one, just so I dont make the same mistake?

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm

not 100% sure what went wrong, i am not a pro at home brewing and it was my first ever batch of anything.. however everything was going well at the begining, the sg was dropping steadily and there was no sign of infection, but it just stopped at 1.050 (from 1.20 ish) tried to restart it with some more yeast that was a no.. tried more nutrients.. that was a no, took some out and tried adding some pre working yeast.. worked for a bit but failed when added back to main. imho i think it was the yeast type. as someone pointed out in my thread about youngs having issues with high sugar amounts, as everything else was fine, its cleared, nice to taste too but nowhere near what it was supposed to be lol i hope yours works out better, i will be doing another attept with the recipie but i think i will invest in some higher yielding or more designed yeast for that project. youngs just couldnt hack it lol but it did well :)

whats in yours u have cooking? and good luck with it :)

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

ha yeah it was me that said youngs would strugle with that amount of sugar,
My idea was basically use Dextrose (a purer more fermentable sugar) yeast and water.
With youngs you can get it up to about 15% if you slowly feed it more and more sugar taking about 2 weeks.
Then I'm going to stick the lot in the freezer and remove half the water hopely leaving something stronger & more interesting behind.

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello,

i am after some advice on how much (and what type) yeast to use, im after making 10 gallon of this stuff (for a party in 10 weeks) to go with the kit brews i have done. I will be kegging once fermented and force carbonating, but do you think 2-3 sachets of champagne yeast will do the trick. Cheers for any advice

Regards
Bigcat

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I packet of champagne yeast (5-7g) should be enough for a 5 gallon brew

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 am

WELL.. after much waiting its finally finished fermenting, strawberry vertion is almost done too, bottling off today and priming with some sugar. my two batches started no probs with 4grams(tsp) of youngs super wine yeast each in one dj, the strawberry one took a little longer to start tho down to temp, starting a 25 litre batch of the stuff after ive nuked out the big fv. also depending on which one i preffer both have a nice aroma and the wife prefers the strawberry. recon 5 grams of sugar per bottle will make some bombs? using 45cl flip top grolch bottles

Image raspberry one

OK maybe its not done, c'mon its been frikkin near 2 weeks now lol sg is 1.002

an heres the strawberry one

not alot of difference between em looks wise.