Perry, Pear Cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
second2none

Re: Perry, Pear Cider

Post by second2none » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 am

I bought a few bottles a "real" Perry cider and was very disapointed...
So I started withing that we're not to far off at all! All we need to do is bulk up the flavour a bit:

300g of sugar is far to low, I normally use 450g per 5L demi,
and get some pear juice in there instead of water,
Pleasee people if you use pears in syrip then tip the syrip in as well, its just sugar water, it will make ur brew stronger and more pearie!

The clocks just went back but if it wasnt so late i'd be marching down to the supermarket demanding pears!
I guess Im angry that I liked this better than the Blum...blun...bloo somthing'ers pear cider that I got from asda

ONLY BECAUSE I NEEDED MORE GLASS BOTTLES!

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm about to chuck 18litre of lidls pear nectar in with 6 litre of apple nectar to make up 40 pints, I also plan to throw in a kg of sugar. I've got some lalvin ec-1118 yeast to do the dirty work.

anything else anyone can suggest or does it all sound good to go?

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Put some powdered cinnamon in when ur heating everything up, it will make it smell amazing and give a deeper richer flavour.
I was very impressed when I did :)

I dont know how much u'd put in 40 pints thou, its just an idea for you. Apart from that you sound good to go.
It might fizz up alot at the start of fermentation so maybe add most of your fruit juice and a few days later top it up
(Ive read posts that say this helps improve the flavour as well)

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:48 pm

i had planned to skip the pear halves and heating, i was thinking that the 'pulp' in the nectar would substitute itself for the heating of the fruit halves.

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm

I did it. I boiled up some pears.

I went a bit nutty with the pear nectar stuff and had intended on not adding any water, but when I went to add it to the pan for boiling it was a bit too thick. I put in the syrup from the tins into the boil, half of the sugar and just a litre of pear nectar. I also put in about 1 litre of water. Oh and three tablespoons of ground cinamon.

after that it was all mashed up and added to the FV along with 6 litres of apple juice and an additional 7 litres of pear nectar, I topped it up to just under 5 gallons with water.

The SG came out dead on 1060. I've added Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and have the temp controller set for 20C. TIme will tell how it went........

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Brilliant pics, this is deffo one i'll be trying for the 5gallon fv, as its sat on its own with nothing in it :( outa curiosity how much did it all come to and what shops did u go to?

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:13 pm

it was lidl for the pear juice (89p 1 litre) and apple juice (77p for 1.5 litre), morrisons for the pear halfs (47p a tin) and the cinamon was 61p for the jar at morrisons. the yeast was off ebay (cheapest place if you just want yeast).

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

I found Some....

And it tasted quite amazing so that will be going in my DJ to make some sort of crazy perry, cider wine!
Does anyone have any ideas abpout how much juice/water ratio to put in a 5L DJ??

PS. GREAT PHOTOS V.P!! Thankyou for sharing them! Im very jealous Its been a while since Ive brewed in such large quantities, but I guess with summer comming up I better get my act together!...Best of luck to you!!

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 pm

thanks for the recipe, i'll have to wait a few weeks before i can give comment on its success.

that welches look interesting......

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:23 pm

is it going crazy yet with all that pulp? am going to start this one up at some point this week.. will be firing in some pectin tho apparently that can help when u have solids, last time i did a brew involving solids it dies on its ass, due to the mega high sugar content lol

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:53 pm

its bubbling away quite well. one thing i can suggest and wanted to do myself but forgot until it was too late, was to make a mesh guard around the tap inside the FV so when it comes to botteling it keeps all the mash away fron the tap and doesnt block it.

I think the yeast can go upto 17%abv before it drowns itself, if second2none is right then it should ferment down and clear. I might leave the FV along for longer than the suggested 10 days to give it time to settle before bottleing. i'll have to wait n see what its like as I go along....

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:13 am

the fv i have doesnt have a tap... its got a 'place' one can go but cant be bothered hunting a tap that fits down.... will just use a hose and ma trusty funnel and flour seive lol, might invest in some new fv's with taps

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I've just finished botteling the Perry.

I have been monitoring the bubbles through the airlock and noticed that they had not changed over the past two days. Now I was just faced with the problem of all that mash and lumps....

I made a filter using a cheap plastic kitchen seive and a funnel. The pipe went in the end with a little bottler at the other. all the equipment was steralised before I stuck it into the brew.

as you can see the filter did quite well....

29 bottles of Perry. I'll give it a few week or two then move it to my cellar. I'll monitor the clear bottle to see how it clears up..........

second2none

Post by second2none » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey its looking good, in the past I've used a clean piece of cotten muslin to strain out all the lumps but looks like ur funnel did a grand job!

Ur perry is a beautiful golden colour, my orignal recipe was much whiter
I really hope it turns out well for you because you've obviously put alot of effort into this!

ViciousPenguin

Post by ViciousPenguin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 pm

i'm a little aprehensive about what will come out the bottle, it all seemed a little thick to me even with the filter. I'll get it in the neck from the missus if it doesn't work :S