Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 am

Before I do this, what should I go for? Strawberry or raspberry? I would love if someone could give me a proper idea as to how it tastes? Is it like a fizzy wine? A fizzy cider? Does it taste 'cheap' or does it taste like a good quality beverage. What is already out there that it can be compared to?

Sorry for all the annoying questions...

Cheers!

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:29 pm

as for the original recipie, when i have done it it comes out like a fruity kind of cider but it tastes nothing like cider.. it does keep its raspberry flavour, not too dry, clear, refreshing and sparkling... not tried the rose wine variation of it but from the lower flat abv pre priming i can imagine it being a nice rose wine too with upping the sugar and some grape juice. the strawberry vertion i also tried, i did not keep its flavour it did however keep its aroma.. the raspberry was most deffinetly better. i do recon however a combination of the two plus way more sugar and grape juice would make an excellent rosey aroma and flavour lol

on fermenting time... first time i did this with the raspberry it took about 10-12 days, now tho all other times with this one its slowed right down i am on week 2 and its sg has only dropped .020 not even half way yet :/ only thing i did different with it this time was boil the syrup with the sugar, first time i didnt boil the syrup wierd eh lol

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Cheers dude. What yeast do you use and what does the final gravity end up as?

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 am

yeasties stopped at 1.002-.003, yeast i am using atm is youngs super wine yeast compound (£2.60) outa wilkiesons for a 60g tub

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Cheers. Will brew this next week as we were lazy and shopped at our local Sainsbury's today. Couldn't see it in there.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am

Just a quick question... This has been sitting in the demi since December when I first read this thread... I'm pretty sure it's all fermented by now (!) but what I'm not sure about now is priming... Can I still rack it then use quick clear, prime it then bottle or do I need to add more yeast? Will it have died off?

Cheers,

Kevin

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm

WOW 5 months! i'd say it woul be done like... longest ive had with it is 2 weeks lol, i wouldnt add more yeast, i would probably let it stay clear in the demi.. rack it off into another DJ away from the sediment, stick 30-35 grams of sugar disolved in a little water allow to cool.. then add to dj stirr/swirl well.. and bottle, if you add a clearing agent it may kill any dormant yeasties, adding more might leave you with bits of half live yeast floating about in it, i have never had one that has not cleared on its own, and it will still clear in the bottle also.. it can take some amount of time granted but not 4 months plus lol.

correct me if am wrong

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Kevin wrote:Just a quick question... This has been sitting in the demi since December when I first read this thread... I'm pretty sure it's all fermented by now (!) but what I'm not sure about now is priming... Can I still rack it then use quick clear, prime it then bottle or do I need to add more yeast? Will it have died off?
Hi Kevin

I doubt that there is any live yeast left in there. If you prime and bottle you will probably not get any fizz, because it is the yeast fermenting the priming sugar in the bottle that carbonates your grog. Before you go any further though you should draw off a small sample with a sanitised tube or turkey baster and taste it. If it tastes rubbery, then this is probably yeast autolysis (dead yeast cells rupturing releasing off flavours) and you may want to ditch it and start again.

If it tastes ok and you want some fizz then I would rack it off in to another dj, add some priming sugar (30-40g) and a tiny bit of yeast. Leave it until you see some yeast activity (bubbles) which should be less than 24 hours, then bottle.

Next time I'd get it bottled within a month of pitching.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat May 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Now then. Made some of this today. I added the full bottle of the raspberry stuff to 4.5L of water along with 50g of sugar. OG was 1035. If it ferments down to around the 1000 mark, it should come in at around 4.3%. This would be perfect as I'm hoping my girlfriend likes it.

I used a full sachet of Young's cider yeast. REALLY hope this tastes great. Even have visions of making a load for my wedding next year...

Cheers!

Base

Post by Base » Sun May 08, 2011 4:08 am

Hi this is our first time brewing. Tonight we made a gallon each of strawberry, rasberry, and cherry.

We sanitized everything and rinsed with cold water.

We followed the recipe in the first post.

We dissolved the sugar in 1 litre from kettle. Then we added the bottle of syrup, and topped up to 3.5 litre total volume which we had marked on the side earlier. We left 1 litre clearance to add one more litre of water in a day or two. We didn't want to risk a "blowout."

Once it was at the 3.5 L mark we added 1 teaspoon of youngs super wine yeast compound and swirled so that the yeast was not sitting dry on top.

We forgot our thermometer but the trial jar felt just slightly cool to the touch and we guessed that it was about 60F. We took Sg and it was 1.082, that's high(I think) but remember we left out 1L of water.

My only concern right now is that do you think that the sugar concentrate might be too strong for the yeast to start? I doubt it but thought I would ask anyways.

Also, whats the ideal fermentation temperature for this?

I tried all the syrups with water and I like the cherry the best :)

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Sun May 08, 2011 2:01 pm

This looks awesome. Will be starting a batch tomorrow alongside the Magnum Cider kit I started on Thursday. Hoping that it's all going to be ready for drinking in a few weeks when I finish my exams :)

How long are people finding this takes to ferment? I've got my Cider going in a room between 23 and 24 oC, although it might get a bit warmer yet. What yeast are people finding works well? I'm going to try bread yeast first, because I can get it tomorrow, but if this turns out popular with my mates then I'll do a 25 L batch, and might change the yeast if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the recipie

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Ok I lied. Found myself with the exact amount of money I needed in my wallet, so I headed out to Tesco.

Have just put it all together, but I've used golden (untreated) caster sugar. Don't know what difference it will make but I'll find out. Have used Tesco's Dried Active yeast, which I activated in water before putting in. Again, I don't know what it will do but I'll find out in a few weeks! I'm going to be bottling this up into 2L PETs when it's finished, and drinking it in about 5 weeks.

We'll see what happens :)

Cheers

GSMunn

Post by GSMunn » Sun May 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Yum! Bread yeast!

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Bread yeast is great

For making bread.

GSMunn