Still getting it ??

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Still getting it ??

Post by pas8280 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 pm

A whilst ago i posted about an odd taste i was getting when barreling see view topic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39373
Well after stripping and cleaning everything down again (soaked in vwp)and leaving over night in bleach solution before rinsing and filling (really belt and braces)
My last brew was exactly the same very odd background twang, after an internet search the nearest i can come up with is a musty earthy taste, the causes are somewhat vague (hot side aereation) to say the least.
All my bottled beers are fine, and the brewing process is identical so by elimination it can only be
A, the barrel (needs skipping)
B, the fact that i only put 18 litres in the barrel leaving large head space or
C, the CO2 addition via Hambleton Bard s30 injector.
So can a barrel be uncleanable with taints that can't be removed, is the large head space a problem, with this last brew straight after i barreled it i purged with CO2 and released the o2 via the valve then re purged. Or is there something about the CO2 cylinder and or its contents, as i bought it secondhand well over 12 month ago and dont know its history ?
I am at a loss any help appreciated
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

bungle666

Re: Still getting it ??

Post by bungle666 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 pm

pas8280 wrote: Or is there something about the CO2 cylinder and or its contents, as i bought it secondhand well over 12 month ago and dont know its history ?
I am at a loss any help appreciated
thats where i would be looking! get a new refill and send that one back! start with the simplest things first, youve allready cleaned everything, so this is the next simplest thing!

B..

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 pm

I would think the barrel is more likely to be the problem, I've never heard of bottled CO2 causing off flavour in a beer. Did you purge the barrel after transfer and gas up to eliminate oxygen?
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm

TC2642 wrote:I would think the barrel is more likely to be the problem, I've never heard of bottled CO2 causing off flavour in a beer. Did you purge the barrel after transfer and gas up to eliminate oxygen?
I did this with the last brew transfered fermented brew added 30g priming sugar solution, fitted cap pressured up with co2 released pressure (moved rubber band on valve) the re gassed up.
If anything the brew had a more defined "twang" than the previous ones

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm going to suggest a different possibility. How's your fermentation temperature? When I ferment too low I get a slight "dirt" taste. I'm assuming it may be close to your "musty earthy taste".
Doesn't explain the bottles tasting different, though.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Pas, are you sure your CO2 is CO2 and not Oxygen? Want to borrow a cornie off me when i come up to pick up me hand-pulls?

Steve

196osh

Post by 196osh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

O2 would not carbonate a beer.

bungle666

Post by bungle666 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

pas8280 wrote:
TC2642 wrote:I would think the barrel is more likely to be the problem, I've never heard of bottled CO2 causing off flavour in a beer. Did you purge the barrel after transfer and gas up to eliminate oxygen?
I did this with the last brew transfered fermented brew added 30g priming sugar solution, fitted cap pressured up with co2 released pressure (moved rubber band on valve) the re gassed up.
If anything the brew had a more defined "twang" than the previous ones
Im still reckoning the CO2 has gone stale! for the sake of the price of a refil S30 (about £4), it has to be worth a bash!

you gave it "effectively" 2 doses of the same gas, and the "twang" got worse! says it all to me!

B..

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, doh. What I ment is that it wouldn't go fizzy...

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Tinkerer

Post by Tinkerer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Have you looked at your S30 valve - maybe it's rusty or tainted in some way? That would be an easy and fairly cheap component to replace if necessary...

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 am

Trunky wrote:
196osh wrote:Yeah, doh. What I ment is that it wouldn't go fizzy...
I've not tried it. O2 is soluble in water, not as much as CO2, whether you could get enough into solution and actually get a fizz on dispense is another thing. You don't get effervescence that much in a standard barrel though.

Anyway, we're heading OT, seriously doubt it's O2 in the cylinder. Tainted CO2? Maybe.
To be honest it was pumped out via a beer engine so hard to tell how much if any carbonation there was in the beer, I don't know if you can get tainted co2 but for four or five quid that's my next course if action another good scrub and new gas refill thanks guys

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:34 am

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Trunky wrote:
pas8280 wrote:To be honest it was pumped out via a beer engine
Which you've dismantled and cleaned presumably?
Oh yeah easy to discount this it was thoroughly cleaned but I also pulled a couple of pints off directly from the barrel, no difference :(