Brewing and steam issues

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Walrus81
Piss Artist

Brewing and steam issues

Post by Walrus81 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 am

Not really sure if this is the correct forum, appologies if not really.

Ok, so I have a number of brews under my belt and my setup is almost spot on.

There is only one issue, venting steam from the boil.

I brew in my shed which shares space with bikes and some other bits (tools etc). I open the door but the amount of steam and condensation caused is immense!

So how does everyone else deal with this? I guess more venting is the answer, any more suggestions?

TIA
Fermenting:Smash AG with Brambling X

Conditioning:

Drinking:

Steve B

Re: Brewing and steam issues

Post by Steve B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 am

Place a fan in such a way as the steam gets blown out the door. Works for me, with the beneficial side effect that it prevents boilovers too.

atb

Steve

Gadders

Post by Gadders » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 pm

I had the same problem with brewing in my garage. As Steve said, a fan blowing at the door sorted it out nicely for me aswell.

Cheers

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 pm

If your boiler has a lid or you can find something suitable to use as a lid,a quick trip to B&Q and buy a length of 32mm plastic waste pipe a 32mm plastic tank connector and a elbow joint (only costs about a fiver in total) you can make a boiler vent to the outside,thats my set up using a 10 gallon Hop & Grape boiler and I now boil in the kitchen with the steam venting through the window,no steam indoors at all apart from a slight bit in the last 15mins of the boil because of a slight gap in the boiler lid due to the IC but this is minimal as the vast amount of steam still vents via the vent pipe.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a window in my SHED that for some reason decides to vent the Steam if the main door is open ( Lucky Me) but have a Fan on hand to assist or a swinging tea towel which acts as a Beer work out, that said " A Beer Sauna" is a great thing :)

Walrus81
Piss Artist

Post by Walrus81 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Once again, thanks so much for the advice.

Great phrase "beer sauna"

It's an issue as I have a few electronic assemblies about which have taken one soaking however repeated soaking is not a great idea.

The fan ideas sounds excellent, as does the vent, I think that I have a fan lying around somehwere which I shall use.
the bonus of this (apart from the fact I do not have to shell out on any bits) is that I can then use the fan when not brewing in the shed but it's rather hot.

Many, many thanks!

=D> To everyone and their suggestions!

Conditioning:

Drinking:

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:34 pm

I brew in my garage and with the canopy door about 1/3 open and the rear access door fully open then there's enough airflow to clear the steam.

I guess in a shed you've only got the one door so you need some mechanical assistance as mentioned in the above posts :)
Dan!

Will808

Post by Will808 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

I know this will be of no help, but I have been known to take a piece of spare camping mat in each hand and wave them frantically around in order to remove the steam from our garage. It's good exercise, but not ideal if you're brewing where people can see you, and potentially dangerous if you live near an airport.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 am

I have the same problem and find I get a lot of mould on the wood surface after brewing.

I've tried the fan and whilst it did help a little, a lot of the steam condesned on the fan and dripped on the floor causing a trip hazard.
If you have a small boiler, you could probably use a kitchen hood extractor of a suitable size.

I'm about to construct a stainless steel lid with a chimney and it will have a drip-tray inside the chimney to catch any condensate which can be drained off.

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am

I was having this problem so I just moved the boiler outside with an extension lead.

I take it this is not an option with your set up?

Rick

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:... and it will have a drip-tray inside the chimney to catch any condensate which can be drained off.
Just what might you be boiling and doing with the condensate? :wink:
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I have an extractor fan in my boiler lid, it comes on with the boiler kettle elements, it vents through the wall so steam no longer a problem for me.

steve

Walrus81
Piss Artist

Post by Walrus81 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:47 pm

A slight development this end.

In that I can't find the fan. So on to free cycle to see if I Can find an extraction hood or fan.

TIA.

Conditioning:

Drinking:

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:31 pm

I boil outside, using an extension lead. Just have to hope the weather doesn't turn to rain!

Guy

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Could you build a Sky light in the shed, I once thought that would be the answer for me but could not be fk'd,I also have electronic equipment that I dont want in my Beer sauna.

Fan works well for me if wind is Zero