Aftertaste issue

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Walrus81
Piss Artist

Aftertaste issue

Post by Walrus81 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Hello,

It's been a while since I last posted, even longer since I last brewed!

I have just had a bottle of my last brew and I am sure there is an after taste that has been present in ALL my brews

Friends can not taste it, a very acomplished brewer { (IMHO) subsonic} did not mention it, yet I can still taste it.

I have brewed using tap water and bottled water
Sterilising with no rinse agents
Sterlising with rinse agents
various mash temps

However I can still taste it.

So is it me, or could it be the yeast Safale 04.

Anyone else experienced this?

Man thanks!
Fermenting:Smash AG with Brambling X

Conditioning:

Drinking:

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Aftertaste issue

Post by simple one » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 pm

What is the taste? Is it acidic and bitter? Maybe slightly mecidinal? Or really really acidic?

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Walrus

I used to have a background flavour that persisted through all my brews regardless of recipe or type.
It might be a coincidence but since moving to BIAB and using my voile as a filter post boiler, that " flavour " has all but gone. I put it down to allowing virtually ALL the break material through into the fermenter. I know most people say that some break in the fermenter really isn't an issue but for me it's just too much of a coincidence...............

Cheers Tom

DomClarke

Post by DomClarke » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:16 pm

If you think it may be the yeast it is an easy test to find out, try another yeast!

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Arnt odd background tastes a pain, i had issues with odd musty plasticky taste when using a King keg eventually i put it down to the keg and returned to bottling which are fine, however i recently purchaseda cypherco cask and filled that.
At the BBQ that i made the brew for last night it was tapped and vented no issues guess what !!! yep plasticky aftertaste i am stumped no idea whats causing it #-o The yeasts have been different so i can't pin point that as an issue
Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 pm

soupdragon wrote:Hi Walrus

I used to have a background flavour that persisted through all my brews regardless of recipe or type.
It might be a coincidence but since moving to BIAB and using my voile as a filter post boiler, that " flavour " has all but gone. I put it down to allowing virtually ALL the break material through into the fermenter. I know most people say that some break in the fermenter really isn't an issue but for me it's just too much of a coincidence...............

Cheers Tom
Totally agree. Happened to me early on. And in my last one where I let a good chunk of break through.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 pm

simple one wrote:
soupdragon wrote:Hi Walrus

Cheers Tom
Totally agree. Happened to me early on. And in my last one where I let a good chunk of break through.
Hi simple one

It's nice to find someone who can back me up on this. I was starting to doubt my reasoning. As I said though, it was just too much of a coincidence ( in my mind at least ) for break material not to have been my problem. Not looked back since :D

Cheers Tom

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I often have a background bitterness. I have tried so many yeasts, wet and dry, but can't put my finger on it. Other people love my beer but I notice a "brewery" characteristic. I am brewing beer now with very few or no early hops and only to about 30 IBU..............time will tell :?
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

lyonsy81

Post by lyonsy81 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Everytime i brewed with Safale SO4 all i got was a Bubblegum like taste off every brew i used it with, they all started to taste the same so i switched too Liquid Yeasts, White Labs Irish Ale Yeast & British Ale Yeast seem to be the best in my opinion!

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I think you may have a case of "hypercritical about your own beer".
I'm never completely satisfied with mine. I am justified in my criticism however, when I forget the camden tablets.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Walrus81
Piss Artist

Post by Walrus81 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Interesting mix of experiences.

I will try brewing in a bag, and using that as a filter.

If the flavour is still there, I will give liquid yeasts ago.

Hopefully it will be solved by the filtering! [-o<

Conditioning:

Drinking:

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm

There are some tastes that some of us are not able to taste, while others can find them unpleasant. In whisky tasting sulphur is one such culprit:
"There are few subjects so likely to get a whisky aficionado hot under the collar as the vexed question of sulphur. One of the main reasons the topic is so divisive is that an estimated 40 per cent of people are thought to be physically incapable of detecting sulphur in their dram in the first place. These (perhaps fortunate) whisky lovers often identify a smoky note to sulphurous whiskies, not dissimilar to a peated malt.

But for the remaining 60 per cent, sulphur is characterised by an acrid, bitter flavour and dry mouthfeel, which overwhelms the tastebuds and catches the back of the throat like burning rubber or a struck match. For those who are particularly sensitive to the taste, even a hint of sulphur can render a whisky all but undrinkable.
"
So maybe you are sensitive to a taste that others are unable to detect.

Walrus81
Piss Artist

Post by Walrus81 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Could be, although I do hope not!

I've had a think regarding the biab approach, the hop strainer I use is a really fine mesh, similar to a sieve, so think that perhaps it's not the answer.

I will try getting a kit from BB and see how that turns out (this is another option)

Conditioning:

Drinking:

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Walrus81 wrote:Could be, although I do hope not!

I've had a think regarding the biab approach, the hop strainer I use is a really fine mesh, similar to a sieve, so think that perhaps it's not the answer.

I will try getting a kit from BB and see how that turns out (this is another option)
I've never seen a sieve that is as fine as a sheet of voile so I wouldn't discount it quite yet :)

Cheers Tom

Walrus81
Piss Artist

Post by Walrus81 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 pm

That is a very true point, I shall give voile try!

Conditioning:

Drinking: