Anyone used WYEAST STRAIN: 1968

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
guest5234

Anyone used WYEAST STRAIN: 1968

Post by guest5234 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Seems it produces a malty ale, anyone tried it?
YEAST STRAIN: 1968 | London ESB Ale
A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Anyone used WYEAST STRAIN: 1968

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Great yeast. Have a starter on the go at the min for a London Pride-esque clone this wknd. It's Fuller's primary strain. It is nice and fruity and does leave a nice maltiness. Very floculant so clears pretty quick too. Highly recommended!

guest5234

Post by guest5234 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

floydmeddler wrote:Great yeast. Have a starter on the go at the min for a London Pride-esque clone this wknd. It's Fuller's primary strain. It is nice and fruity and does leave a nice maltiness. Very floculant so clears pretty quick too. Highly recommended!
Cheers, is it easy to start in a demi-john with some spray malt and get 5 or 6 starter bottles out of it? and where is the best place to get it online?

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:30 pm

I just finished using it through 4 brews. Very good yeast. Started it in a 2L bottle using 100g for 1000ml. Kicked off in less than a day.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

guest5234 wrote:
floydmeddler wrote:Great yeast. Have a starter on the go at the min for a London Pride-esque clone this wknd. It's Fuller's primary strain. It is nice and fruity and does leave a nice maltiness. Very floculant so clears pretty quick too. Highly recommended!
Cheers, is it easy to start in a demi-john with some spray malt and get 5 or 6 starter bottles out of it? and where is the best place to get it online?
Should be OK I reckon. I have it on a slant and it keeps for months and months. Should be OK in starter bottles too I reckon.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 pm

When I've tried to keep it as a slurry it seems to autolyse rather quicker than most yeasts. Keeps fine on slant. On repitching it seems to drift over several generations - you can usually tell when it's happening (other than by the finished beer flavour) as the flocculation seems to weaken.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 am

My starter stage 4 is very curdled milk looking with this yeast. Smells fine, but wonder if this is just because it is so flocculant

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Yes it is so flocculant. Almost blancmange like. impossible to rinse the slurry on this one.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Cheers. I stepped up again to 1.5l and it's gone mad in just 4 hrs, thick yeast cake on the bottom of the flask.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

guest5234 wrote:Seems it produces a malty ale, anyone tried it?
The Fullers' strain, so yeah, it's perfect for malty ale. I especially liked it in a Dark Mild I brewed with wormwood in amongst the hops for a unique kind of herbal bitterness. I recommend a slightly higher mash temp in order to leave some unfermentable sugars for fuller mouthfeel. Good stuff.

cwhouston

Post by cwhouston » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 am

I've used this twice and had the same issues both times with it developing some really crappy flavours after a short period in the bottle. Guys on the Homebrew talk forum won't use it if bottling - keen to hear if anyone in blighty has experienced same issues. I use 1028 and 1469 now with no problems.

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

I haven't used this yeast myself yet but I must say I think it's a bit odd if that's true, as Fuller's themselves sell bottle conditioned ales...

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Skittlebrau wrote:I haven't used this yeast myself yet but I must say I think it's a bit odd if that's true, as Fuller's themselves sell bottle conditioned ales...
+1
I bottle-conditioned with it, no problems. Perhaps the poster's crappy flavors were due to another ingredient, sanitation, etc?