best time to dry hop

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
valhalla76

best time to dry hop

Post by valhalla76 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Hello people, quite new to brewing and ventured onto the darkside all grain about march, just brewed 21l of roughly 3.8kg mo 1kg munich 350g crystal 100g choc, basically what i had left over hops northdowns fuggles and goldings, brewlab tv3 + rehydrated 04 really not sure when to dry hop this, any ideas? Cheers

Spud395

Re: best time to dry hop

Post by Spud395 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 pm

I throw them in when primary is finished, maybe day 5 or 6 and leave for 5 days.

I'm sure others do different, but that seems to do the job nicely

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 am

After fermentation i move to a secondary and add gelatine to clear the beer. I then give it a few days for the yeast to settle out and only then do I dry hop for about 5 days.

This appears to work for me.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 am

I dry hop about 7 days after pitching the yeast, this is usually 7 days prior to kegging, as I usually leave the beer in the fermenter for 14 days. The final few days being cold to help it clear.

timb
Steady Drinker

Post by timb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 am

Just a thought - after 7 days in primary there is still quite a thick head on my beer. How would I add the hops in this case?

valhalla76

Post by valhalla76 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Cheers people,timb ive never had a head last that long what are you brewing? :)

timb
Steady Drinker

Post by timb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

I use fresh yeast from my local brewery, all my ferments turn out that way. I guess the answer would be to introduce the hops in secondary. I don't normally do that though. :?

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I pitched Saturday evening, a 300ml starter, re-grown from a bottle of my own into a 45L batch (I know, way underpitching) and the head has all fallen back this morning.
Do you control the ferment temperature ?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

I pitch dry hops after primary fermentation has largely finished, typically say day 10, and leave in there until I keg, say day 20/21 (partly because this makes brew day and kegging days fall on weekends).

Usually the top of the wort is reasonably clear by then but with some yeast types theres still lots of foam floating even by day 10 (in fact sometimes for weeks); if so I tend to just push/stir in the hops with a sanitised spoon, trying not to introduce oxygen/air or disturn the CO2 blanket more than necessary.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:21 pm

I've read on here from experienced brewers that hop tea is the way to go. No worrying about leafs floating about everywhere or possible bacterial contamination. I think you can add it at end of fermentation. Results are as good as dry hopping from what I understand.

I will be doing this myself next time I do a beer that requires dry hopping.

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:15 pm

i dry hop in the cornie.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 pm

adeybambam wrote:i dry hop in the cornie.
Similarly, I dry hop in my barrels. I used to put hops in a sanitised hop bag, but now I just put them in to free float and I have a filter on the back of my tap.
see topic: dry hopping - tap filter