Keeping Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Jim
Site Admin

Keeping Yeast

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:50 pm

I've just been reading some yeast-related info on another forum (Assie Homebrewer). This was about keeping yeast divided up from a smackpack starter.

Someone there recommended keeping the yeast under sterile water rather than under the beer which came from the starter. Has anyone tried this (or got any opinions on it)?

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:54 pm

I've been brewing today, jim, and I've put the wort in the same fermenting vessel that the previous batch to try to reuse the same yeast. <_<

I've rack the beer this morning from that FV and kept it in the fridge with the dormant yeast, without open it, until the end of the today brew (it was 20.00 pm). :unsure:

2 hours after (22.00) the yeast is fermenting well, hope it'll keep going, I'll see tomorrow :)

Have you ever done it ?

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Is that basically krausening, Jean-Yves? I've never tried it since there's usually a lag between my batches. Now that it's getting cooler again, I'm tempted to try to brew once every two weeks.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:12 pm

QUOTE (jean-yves @ Sep 21 2005, 11:54 PM)I've been brewing today, jim, and I've put the wort in the same fermenting vessel that the previous batch to try to reuse the same yeast.  <_<

I've rack the beer this morning from that FV and kept it in the fridge with the dormant yeast, without open it, until the end of the today brew (it was 20.00 pm).  :unsure:

2 hours after (22.00) the yeast is fermenting well, hope it'll keep going, I'll see tomorrow :)

Have you ever done it ?
I think quite a few people use that method, JeanYves; it's simple and effective. I did that a few times with a liquid yeast that Boots used to sell years ago and it was fine.

The downside is that if you get an infection in your first brew, the second one will get it as well; but as long as you test for that before reusing the yeast, it'll be fine.

I'm like Sagwalla, I don't brew regularly enough to pitch directly on the trub from the previous batch; it's often a few weeks before I'm ready to brew again, so I need to store the yeast somehow.

That's why the door of my fridge looks like this:

:D

Jaytee
Tippler

Post by Jaytee » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:56 pm

Better fill that fridge with more beer/yeast - don't want the foodies to think they own it !

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:05 pm

that's a good fridge Jim :D

The reason why I've try it, is because I brew a lot at the moment (twice a week! :stun ) so I whant to see how to do it more simple and cheaper :)
I've done it with the Gervin yeast (Jim's yeast :P )

the previous batch was on saturday and the second on wednesday.
this morning, after only 12hrs, it was fermenting really strong and the foam was comming out of the FV by the airlock, I put about 45ltr in a 60ltr bucket.
I've check this evening: temperature 24°c, gravity 1009 and still bubling :rolleyes: it should be finish tomorrow morning.

it's a golden ale :9kg of pale malt
150gr torrified wheat
300gr Saaz (first)
55gr liberty (late, 15mn of the end)
22gr of gervin ( for the first batch)

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:09 pm

QUOTE 300gr Saaz (first)
55gr liberty (late, 15mn of the end)

Cor, J-Y...that's a massive dose of hops!

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:31 pm

Not so much, Sag, I boil 60ltr so 300x2.2%x20 / 600 = 22 ibu ;)
and 55gr of liberty is about 20% of the first hop ;)

that give a very good beer B)

sagwalla

Post by sagwalla » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:34 am

I didn't reckon on AA as low as 2.2%. I can see your point.

I brewed up a porter this weekend with 80g of Fuggles (24 litres) targeting 33IBU, then put in 16g of Cascade for aroma. I had to guess at the Fuggles AA as it's not indicated on the packet, but I assumed 4.9%.

J-Y - you said you brew 2x per week. At 45-60 litres, you must move a lot of product! :beer

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:15 pm

Yes, I brew a lot at the moment because I've a lot of big parties comming soon :stun
the most important will be the 12 of november for the making cider where we could be over hundred people :blink:

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:51 pm

I brewed again today, but didn't want to reused a third time the same yeast <_< , I was abit afraid to do it :wall

Now I think that I should I've try it because the yeast seemed really good :huh:
My previous bath finished at 1003, I've transfert it in another bucket in the frigde to clear the beer, the taste is very good :P

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:54 am

QUOTE (jean-yves @ Sep 30 2005, 09:51 PM) I brewed again today, but didn't want to reused a third time the same yeast <_< , I was abit afraid to do it :wall

Now I think that I should I've try it because the yeast seemed really good :huh:
My previous bath finished at 1003, I've transfert it in another bucket in the frigde to clear the beer, the taste is very good :P
Yes, I know what you mean JY. It seems daft to risk a whole new batch if you're not sure of your yeast.