Cooling with hose pipe ban

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Capper20
Piss Artist

Cooling with hose pipe ban

Post by Capper20 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am

Cursory search returned no results and web on a phone is a PITA. With an imminent hose pipe ban coming in April 5 in the dry south east is there an alternative to cooling than a copper coil and water via a hose that is practical as well as adhering to the ban? Alas I don't have water fed into garage and hose tap is by front door.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Cooling with hose pipe ban

Post by Fil » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 am

use your waterbut water and an pond pump to push it thru to a second waterbut.
of course we all have a spare empty water but kickin about dont we.

Not me but the chap who runs the copper kettle web brewshop was telling me he has done this and 200l waterbut slowly pumped thru a coil should chill down a 2 corny (40l) batch with plenty to spare.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 am

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 am

I use a system to cool that involves a smaller amount of water in a large bucket (very large - maybe 100ltr plus) with frozen water bottles in it, I prepare this at the start of the boil. I have got this as low as 6degrees C before using for cooling, then circulate this water through a stainless coil immersed in the beer. I have developed this mainly for summer as the incoming water temperature can be 25C.
I normally do use some tap water to get the initial temperature down to a manageable point first - hope this may give you some idea's
Stu-le-brew
All stainless system, thanks supplier on EBay France
100ltr Copper gas powered
80ltr insulated Mash Tun (Thermopot)
70ltr electric HLT with home made digital temp controller (with PID and SSR)
pumped sparge system and pumped stainless immersion chilling system for summer use (using a ice/water-bath)

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 am

Capper20 wrote:Cursory search returned no results and web on a phone is a PITA. With an imminent hose pipe ban coming in April 5 in the dry south east is there an alternative to cooling than a copper coil and water via a hose that is practical as well as adhering to the ban? Alas I don't have water fed into garage and hose tap is by front door.
Time to bring everything indoors then!

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 am

As I've mentioned a few times before, I use garden pond water for cooling. You have to be confident that your joints are watertight though!

The other thing is that there is nothing stopping you filling a spare FV/bucket with cold tap water then pumping that through your cooling coil. You can use as many buckets as you want without breaking the rules. Obviously, this is somewhat against the spirit of the ban but. personally, my conscience would remain fairly clear. :D

Finally, unless your neighbours are tell-tale gits, no-one is going to catch you using a hosepipe for cooling. Even if the guff about helicopter patrols is true (which I doubt) you won't be visibly spraying water around so no-one could prove there was water flowing through the hose unless they enter your house/garden.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 am

When the last hosepipe ban was on in our area the small print on the conditions read something like "no use of an unattended hose pipe is allowed".

Haven't seen the details for the new ban.

Guy

EDIT----Just found the details online. In our area it's a full hosepipe ban this year, but domestic customers only. Not until April 5th though. Looks like it's back to cooling in the bath.
Last edited by guypettigrew on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jat147

Post by jat147 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

guypettigrew wrote:When the last hosepipe ban was on in our area the small print on the conditions read something like "no use of an unattended hose pipe is allowed".

Haven't seen the details for the new ban.

Guy

Good point. Things mentioned are: washing cars, watering gardens, filling padling pools (damn I love a paddle :-( )
I think cooling will be acceptable, especially if you can show that you're reusing the water i.e hot water for washing down later.
Alternatively, a new activity of night time Gorrilla (sic) brewing will have to start? :lol:

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am

31bn Total capacity in litres
of Bewl reservoir, which Southern Water is
seeking a drought order to refill.

35bn Litres of water lost last year
by Southern Water through leaks.

Says it all.

gregorach
Under the Table

Post by gregorach » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am

boingy wrote:Even if the guff about helicopter patrols is true (which I doubt)
I think they do use them, but they're not actually looking for people using hosepipes - they're looking for green lawns.
Cheers

Dunc

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 am

One other thing about these bans to prehaps think about, is your water authority switching over to a different water source?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 am

Fil wrote:use your waterbut water and an pond pump to push it thru to a second waterbut.
of course we all have a spare empty water but kickin about dont we.

Not me but the chap who runs the copper kettle web brewshop was telling me he has done this and 200l waterbut slowly pumped thru a coil should chill down a 2 corny (40l) batch with plenty to spare.
I do exactly this with my IC set up, chills a 23l brew down to pitching temp in 20-40mins depending ion water temp.

I had the water but and hose already a submersible pond pump (you only need a small one as you dont need too high a flow rate) cost me £18.
I'm sure you can get one cheaper than that locally - I live on the IoM and pay inflated proces for everything....

Hope that helps!

Guy
8)

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Large builders bucket of water chilled in my freezer a couple days before brew day then pumped into wort chiller.
Really the ban is stop car washing and watering gardens with hoses,personally am banning bath time and having a shower.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 pm

No Chill Cubes, has to be the way to go

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Swiller wrote:31bn Total capacity in litres
of Bewl reservoir, which Southern Water is
seeking a drought order to refill.

35bn Litres of water lost last year
by Southern Water through leaks.

Says it all.
Exactly - nuts to the hosepipe ban.

I think what I'll do is collect a couple of hundred litres of hot water from my CFC instead of running it down the sink, then pump it from the container through my hozepipe and use that to wash the car. Let them work that one out :)