Ice concentration

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
jordanchaos

Ice concentration

Post by jordanchaos » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:49 pm

I have finally, successfully concentrated a beer (like Tactical Nuclear Penguin) I took 3 litres of my Big ballsy Stout (AKA Deathkvlt) and through a freezing /un-thawing process has a brandy ish beery taste very pleasant, not to mention OMFG strong! A worthy experiment and all from a Muntons gold kit!

Stoat on a rope

Ice concentration

Post by Stoat on a rope » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 pm

I've been wanting to try this, what size vessel did you use and what sort of return did you get? Did you just use a normal freezer and do you know what temperature it was at? I know at BrewDog they go down to about -30/40C and do three to four re-freezes.

duffymoon

Re: Ice concentration

Post by duffymoon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Oh my god this new development could push my wife over the edge! Full instructions please!!

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Btw Stoat, big fan of your work!

The beer I used was really high gravity, I'm a scientist by trade so, at home I mostly go by thumb.

I used a sterile 1.5lt coke bottle. Filled to 1litre.
Put it in a domestic freezer, now its only about minus 5/10 deg. Thats ok, water freezes at 0 and I dont want to freeze anything else but that. 12 hours it was solid. I took the cap off and turned it upside down in to a pint glass. The first runoff was clear and very very strong! Had a vodka ish taste, my guess is it was pretty much ethanol. Kept draining it till about 500ml. What was leftover was brown ice. Repeated so I had 1 litre of concerntrated beer. Froze it and now I have 250ml from 2 litres. Its very very strong.

Secue

Post by Secue » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

lol, i'm going to have to try this I think. cheers for the inspiration jordan.

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 pm

OMG! You're encouraging binge drinking, all the babies will die and it will be your fault.

Now you're going to have to clone Nanny State.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

hommebru

Post by hommebru » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 pm

brilliant idea mate. might have to give this a go at one point.

Stoat on a rope

Ice concentration

Post by Stoat on a rope » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 am

Awesome! I will be trying that with what I'm currently fermenting... Freeze distilled lambic anyone?!

Cheers!

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am

I'd name my new brew 'babykiller' but since my missus is due in 3 months she might throw a paddy! hahaha
I want to TRY a lambic beer so badly. I was actually trying to explain to a friend why I wanted to make a super mild (nanny state style) beer
Sometimes 9like when ive been out riding my bike, or just damn thirsty I want to drink 10 pints of tasty beer without turning in to a werewolf
Like - was it Mild? that dockers and the like had?

anyway.. on with the doom
Here is my beer
Bottle -Image

This was a muntons imperial kit + 1kg brew enhancer + 1kg dextrose + 500g white sugar + a high gravity ale yeast.
before you hate... its bloody awesome dont have a hydrometer (yet- broke old one) but it makes you feel warm and wonky.

In the glass -Image

Im going to add 25% Icejack beer to the stout during bottling to make BLACK NUMBER ONE!

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Looks great. I've just had a blowout and filled myself up to capacity, so I'm tempted to buy a load of new bottles and put some form of RIS on.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:45 pm

I might try this with cider next. the icejacked beer on its own is quite frankly 'orrid.

Secue

Post by Secue » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Right then m'laddo's, I just tried this out in a basic format, and it's absolutely spectacular. I took a Blueberry and apple TC that I have just brewed, and put approx 750ml into a sterile 1L bottle. Then, shoved it in the freezer, which is set to -21C. I have just up ended the bottle and drained everything thats coming out, and ended up with 250ml.

Now the TC started out at 8.4%, but I don't think I can use a hydrometer to measure this can I? so is it just three times as strong now as it was? as I've reduced the liquid from 750 to 250?

25.2% ABV?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Depends on how your hydrometer is scaled - mine will read to ~30% abv (as proved on my spirit kits which weighed in at 21% approx) - could also consider buying a brix refractometer which should read further - plenty on the 'bay to be had around £25
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 pm

I have a white grape/apple mix that may want this!

Blueberry TC? Do tell!

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm

This is called freeze distilling and like other forms of distilation is illegal without a licence