First batch of cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi all
Iv got a question about the one gallon of cider I'm brewing.
It's doing great and I was just wondering should I cover it and keep it warm or is it ok on the kitchen counter or even outside in the shed.
It never gets hot in my shed as it's very well shaded.
Thanks guys
Matty

simco999

Re: First batch of cider

Post by simco999 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Best leave it inside - outside will get cold and the yeastys will lose interest.

What yeast did you use. Its important.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi iv got two brews on lol one gallon with youngs cider yeast and one with youngs champagne yeast.
Thought I'd try both just because iv herd good and bad reports plus it's my first brew as a noob lol :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 pm

I've used a few different yeasts for turbocider and they all seem to work, but my missus prefers the clean crisp taste you get from a proper cider yeast. I quite like the slight funkiness from using a wine yeast like GervinD. I'm going to try a gallon with Munton's Gold ale yeast next week. Just to see.

simco999

Post by simco999 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 am

villalad1 wrote:Hi iv got two brews on lol one gallon with youngs cider yeast and one with youngs champagne yeast.
Thought I'd try both just because iv herd good and bad reports plus it's my first brew as a noob lol :)
Sounds good - I always use Cider yeast. Plenty on here - search for turbo cider. Done a few myself.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks guys for the info :) how long should I leave the cider? It's still bubbling nice but no sign of it clearing.

simco999

Post by simco999 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:08 pm

2 weeks?? Have you got a hydrometer? Wait for it to be the same SG for three days (sanitise the hydro).

I doubt it will clear totally - may do in the bottle if left for a few weeks.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi yes iv got a hydrometer thanks for the reply I just carnt wait to try it lol :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Leave it until it clears (or 1 day before - hard to judge 1st time!).
There's still enough yeast in suspension for the in-bottle carbonation.
My turbociders have taken from 9 to 18 days, depending on the exact recipe and conditions it was fermented under.
After bottling with a bit of priming sugar, leave somewhere warmish for a week, then somewhere nice and cool for at least 2 weeks.
You can drink it after that but the longer you leave it the better it'll get

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks old bloke for the reply il do just that as I don't want to rush into drinking it until it ready :)
Thanks again
Matty

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi guys my gallon of cider has been on for 10 days and it's bubbling about every 20/30 seconds. Is it best to leave it till its completely finished bubbling or just bottle it up now. Thanks for any help guys
All the best
Matty

simco999

Post by simco999 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm

simco999 wrote:2 weeks?? Have you got a hydrometer? Wait for it to be the same SG for three days (sanitise the hydro).

I doubt it will clear totally - may do in the bottle if left for a few weeks.
Can I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer. :=P :=P :=P

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

villalad1 wrote:Hi guys my gallon of cider has been on for 10 days and it's bubbling about every 20/30 seconds. Is it best to leave it till its completely finished bubbling or just bottle it up now. Thanks for any help guys
All the best
Matty
Sounds like it has a way to go. Wait until it clears. Can you read through it? What size print?

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry simco I did read your reply and thank you for your response I'm just so eager to get it into bottles lol :) ok two weeks it is. Now I'm thinking about my next brew a nice lager but first I would like to do another cider. Only problem is witch one to do? just apple or a nice pair cider any one tried different ciders with good results
Thanks every one for your replies very much appreciated
Matty

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:09 am

villalad1 wrote:a nice pair cider
Good luck finding any pear juice at a sensible price.
Do not attempt to use Lidl pear nectar, you get (per gallon) 3 pints of perry and 3 pints of pulp (much of which will climb out of the airlock). I tried it once. Never again.
There are mixed juices that include pear, but the pear is rarely more than 5% of the total