Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
The Kaiser

Re: Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by The Kaiser » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Haha cheers OldBloke! Let me know how the Cranberry tastes, I might try that next time!

Have you any experience with Turbo Klar? I added it whilst still fermenting like an idiot! Can I add another sachet now it's stopped?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Never used it. Never needed to for cider, though this last one took ages to get clear enough to bottle. I say ages, I mean 16 days.
I've got 6 demis of wine in the spare room that are reluctant to clear though. Almost tempted to get something for them, as the winerack is down to the "stuff put away for aging" level. But I can probably find something bottlable before next weekend. Or we could drink some more of the stuff we get from the SundayTimesWineClub.

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 am

Finally bottled the 20% Turbo Cider up and distributed it to friends and family! Some excellent feedback...

First Victim - Supped a Litre neat, didn't enjoy the taste - Result = Pissed himself, passed out, then pissed on his upstairs landing
Second Victim - One mouthfull neat, nearly died - Result = Complained that the roof of her mouth went numb and it burnt her throat
Third Victim - Supped a Litre neat & mixed, enjoyed it both ways! Result = Fell through a glass door and passed out. (His angry wife phoning me the next day lol!)
Forth Victim - Supped one glass neat, seemed to enjoy it - Result = Could feel it going to her head straight away and never tasted anything like it!

I've been supping it with half of Stella. One pint sends you wobbly, it's cracking stuff! Although, I can see why the majority of people are against the Turbo Yeast. The taste isn't no where near your usual Cider homebrew! But I wasn't aiming for taste, I wanted a Snake Bite with the strike of 13 Cobra's and I certainly got it!!

I will be doing it again! :)

Secue

Post by Secue » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Greets All

Whilst will be doing a nice hoppy bitter tomorrow with a coopers kit and cascade...thought I would do a TC as well.

Going to use my brubox, so should be about 10 litres with these ingredients...although I'm not sure about using all the sugar, comments welcome on this. Found the Blueberry juice drink has 17% blueberry juice, which is the most of all the 'drinks' that sit in the supermarket 'juice' section masquerading as such.. Should hopefully turn out well, going to use champagne yeast on this one as out of cider yeast.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 pm

The Kaiser wrote:Haha cheers OldBloke! Let me know how the Cranberry tastes, I might try that next time!
Well, after the min 1wk-warm+2wks-cool conditioning period, it was very nice. And the one with cloves in was too.

rbw0471

Re:

Post by rbw0471 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Error
Last edited by rbw0471 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbw0471

Re:

Post by rbw0471 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:13 pm

[quote="DREADSKIN"]
when the apples 'fall out' of the juice, ie go to the bottom, and the larger bits float to the top, rack off. top up with more juice. ferment to dryness.
if you want it clear, add bentonite, (or just grow up and get a set of b*llox).

bottle it, if you want it with sparkle ad teaspoon or a slosh of juice.[/quote]
Hi Dreadskin,

I really like the look of this recipe, could you clarify a couple of things for me?

I don't have any demijohns so will be using 25ltr FV's, when you say 'rack off', would this be into a second FV? Also what does 'ferment to dryness' mean please?

Ta
Alan

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Re:

Post by oldbloke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 pm

rbw0471 wrote: what does 'ferment to dryness' mean please?
Let the yeast keep going until it's eaten all the sugar (Hydrometer will get down to around 0.990, brew will clear completely)

It's actually quite hard to kill yeast, so it's easier to let it use all the sugar (then starve) and sweeten with something non-fermentable (if you want it sweet)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:29 pm

oldbloke wrote:
The Kaiser wrote:Haha cheers OldBloke! Let me know how the Cranberry tastes, I might try that next time!
Well, after the min 1wk-warm+2wks-cool conditioning period, it was very nice. And the one with cloves in was too.

EDIT
In fact last night She said it was her fave so far, so I've started 2 more gallons of it today. I'd run out of nutrient, but it really doesn't need it. The Morrison's cranberry is a 'juice drink' but the extra ingredients are just citrc acid and a bit of sugar (IIRC)
Only, you know, I have to tinker, so I threw 3ml of caraway seeds into one of the demis. May have no effect, may ruin it, may be good. At 35p/pint, who cares?

TouLouseLePlot

Post by TouLouseLePlot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 pm

A quick note about yeast: I've been making TC with champagne yeast for 2 years (SN9), fine for making vinegar - but pretty sharp. Now tried a batch (same old mix of a couple of supermarket cheap juices) but with Nottingham ale yeast. A much fruitier drink, stops at 1.008 rather than 1.000 (this one about 6%) but much tastier - full of apples!

histman

Post by histman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Couldn't agree more than with TouLouse... The best TC I have made recently was with Nottingham Ale yeast. Lalvin D47 is good as well. I have also tried some batches with 120 gr of Light Malt Extract per gallon of juice - it adds a lot to the body.

Secue

Post by Secue » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:04 am

histman wrote:Couldn't agree more than with TouLouse... The best TC I have made recently was with Nottingham Ale yeast. Lalvin D47 is good as well. I have also tried some batches with 120 gr of Light Malt Extract per gallon of juice - it adds a lot to the body.
is that not technically snake bite your brewing there then? does it taste like a mixture of lager and cider?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 pm

oldbloke wrote: I'd run out of nutrient, but it really doesn't need it.
Except it takes an extra week to ferment without it...

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Just thown two more batches on :) All 5l size as im still experimenting to find something I reeeealy like - it'll go for 25l then.

A) Cranberry & Raspberry TC

4.5L Aldi Apple Nectar
1L Aldi Cranberry & Raspberry Juice
250g Light Muscavado Sugar (as I had some that needs using)
250g Aldi Fruits of the Forest Jam (as above :) )
1/2L 3 Bag stewed Tea (Tannin)

Pitched @21 deg C with Youngs All Purpose/Nutrient Blend
SG : 1.054

B) Cranberry TC

4.5L Aldi Apple Nectar
1L Aldi Cranberry Juice
500g T&L Caster Sugar

Pitched @21 deg C with Youngs All Purpose/Nutrient Blend
SG : 1.070

More on these to follow :) Also, I'll be making a Cinnammon/Clove TC and my MkII Toffee apple cider recipie later (ran into the Pear nectar pulp issues with the MkI design, I think I have a neat solution ;)) - these will be pitched with a Nottingham Starter I've as im hoping for a sweeter result this time without back sweetening.

C) Cinammon/Clove TC

4.5L Aldi Apple Nectar
500g T&L Caster Sugar
500ml Clove/Cinnamon Tea (plus 1 Clove/1 Stick in the FV)
500ml 3 Bag stewed Tea (Tannin)
1Tsp Nutrient

D) MkII Toffee Apple Cider

4.5L Aldi Apple Nectar
Ingredient X (Quantity and Identity TCB ;) ) - Idea gleaned from previous research on Jims......
1Kg T&L Granulated Sugar (Converted to Med Dark Caramel for flavour and sugar content)
3 Tsp Madagascan Vanilla Paste to be added to the secondary for flavour

Wish me luck :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm

hi all have been brewing ale now for a bit and during a moment of madness last year bought about 25 litres of cloudy apple juice for making some cider.i like the look of dreadskins recipe but was wondering a few things.i usually ferment my beer for about 7 days in a fv then transfer to a bottling bucket for about another 3-4 days before bottling will this rule of thumb work for the cider.also as i sit here drinking a bottle of old rosie that i picked up in lidls £1.29 a bottle will said cider turn out any thing like it? any advice would be appreciated.also bearing in mind that i would prefer a cider that is slightly strong but doesnt destroy your brain or tastebuds in the process