Recommend a kit like Warsteiner?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
DannyW

Recommend a kit like Warsteiner?

Post by DannyW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi,

First time poster stumbled across these forums googling for info :)

I bought the coopers homebrew kit.

Basically I'm new to all this but have enjoyed making my first batch of coopers cerveza which will be bottled after 2 weeks in the fv monday :)
While I wait for that to be drinkable I thought I might as well kick something else off. Other than corona in the summer my favourite lager is Warsteiner or Bitburger. Now I'm not expecting miracles from a kit but is there anything like these german beers in kit form?

Or any other kit lagers that I should try? I was also looking at the muntons continental pils, any good?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Recommend a kit like Warsteiner?

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 am

Hi and welcome :)

There are quite a few pilsner style kits out there - personally, I've yet to try them as I prefer darker ales and belgians myself, but im sure i'll get there someday. Brewferm do a "pils" kit, so i'll stick my colours there

I think like most lagers, to get best results from a kit you need to use a proper bottom fermenting lager yeast and you'll need to spend more time, effort and a little money on controlling fermentation temps (ranging from a full brew fridge setup if you're rich to placing your fermenter in a waterbath with an aquarium heater to modulate temperature if you arent) - there are also arcane rituals to perform (like "Ye Actyl Reste") but i think sacrifices and virgins are optional :lol:

There are also Kits like the Geordie Lager one that use ale yeasts - idiot proof, can be fermented anywhere up to 25 degrees and still make something drinkable - ideal for me :lol: - IMO very much like Stella Artois, but lacking the crisp clean edge you'll get from brewing the proper lager/pilsner way

Either way, stick around an search here - all the answers you need are about - and we're a nice bunch too ! :D
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

DannyW

Post by DannyW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for that, I've been putting a list together for a 2nd kit. It specifies 300g dextrose. Is this just brewing sugar?
Where's a good place to buy dextrose?

:)

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:33 pm

DannyW wrote:Thanks for that, I've been putting a list together for a 2nd kit. It specifies 300g dextrose. Is this just brewing sugar?
Where's a good place to buy dextrose?

:)
Yeah, dextrose = brewing sugar. Get it from your local homebrew shop, wilkos, some morrisons or tescos also stock it.

Welcome to the forum. Get a Coopers Pilsener. Yum yum!
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

DannyW

Post by DannyW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I was looking at the coopers pilsner, but I notice it says temps around 13c are best. I did my first brew in the house and my garage would be too cold right now. My house is around 16-18 (until the mrs gets home) but I read you get an eggy smell of these. Do you still smell it if you don't open up the FV (I have the coopers kit with the krausen collar).

Other than that I might just wait until next winter and do the pilsners in the garage in a water bath with a heater and temp controller. I suppose I could try to get one lot of pilsner done in the garage as the nights start to warm a little?

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:10 pm

where abouts do you live Danny? I'm in Chester, and my garage temps are pretty much spot on at the minute.
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

DannyW

Post by DannyW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Cambridge, my garage gets pretty cold and the outside air temps here are due to go from 2 to -1 this coming week. I think I will do something else indoors over the next two weeks, like the candian blonde and then see what themps in my garage are like in two weeks time :)

That eggy smell is it a problem indoors?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:03 pm

DannyW wrote:That eggy smell is it a problem indoors?
Depends on how sensitive the nose is on SWMBO :lol:
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Only if you don't like the smell of eggs :lol:

It only lasts a few days, tbh.

Edit - bugger, beaten to the draw. :D

DannyW

Post by DannyW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am

Right just taken a hydrometer reading after 12 days, expecting to remove the cerveza on tuesday which will be 14 days. Hydrometer reads 10.12 but is not in the finishing green band for a beer. Is this normal? Of course I will check it over the next few days to see if it's stable but I was expecting it to be nearer the green complete band.

hommebru

Post by hommebru » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:43 pm

i brewed the cooper's pilsner under airlock at around 15 degrees.

opening the lid and smell was awful. with the airlock on you could barely notice it tbh. the small smell was contained to the room i had the FV in so as long as you've got an airlock you'll be fine.

if you do brew this kit, the lower the temp the better, i wish i'd put mine in the basement now. and raise the temp of it for a few days after fermentation has finished to help stave off any flavours of diacetyl.

DannyW

Post by DannyW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:31 pm

I took some garage readings the last 24hours and it's 8 degrees at and about 12 during the day. Is this too cold for pilsner?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm

low end of the scale but it should be ok. Might be worth jacketing your fermenter with an old duvet or the like to protect it from the worst of the fluctuations

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 am

DannyW wrote:Right just taken a hydrometer reading after 12 days, expecting to remove the cerveza on tuesday which will be 14 days. Hydrometer reads 10.12 but is not in the finishing green band for a beer. Is this normal? Of course I will check it over the next few days to see if it's stable but I was expecting it to be nearer the green complete band.
If you have 3 consecutive days of the same reading (at the same temp) it is finished. 1.012 is OK for this kit.