First batch of cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am

Hi that's the stuff I seen so thanks and im glad u told me :) I'm gona have a look around the forum and see what cider everyone else is brewing. I'd love to use apples because I can make a press at work but it's just saucing the right apples and knowing witch ones to use.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:39 pm

When I bottle up I think I gona use 1L bottles so my question is how much priming sugar should I use or would it be better to use smaller bottles whitch I still need to get lol
Thank
Matty

simco999

Re: First batch of cider

Post by simco999 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I use half a teaspoon per 50cl. So thats 1 teaspoon per litre. Some will say this is too much but it also depends on how much yeast is in suspension and the temp of the room where your carbonising. Thats for lagers by the way - not sure what to use for ciders.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks simco that brill at least I have half an idea now :) in still not to sure what size bottles to use but will keep looking around.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

When u add the sugar for bottling do you give the bottle a good shake to get it all mixed in?
Thanks guys
Matty

simco999

Post by simco999 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm

A quick shake yes

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:58 pm

villalad1 wrote:When u add the sugar for bottling do you give the bottle a good shake to get it all mixed in?
Thanks guys
Matty
I never bother, I put the sugar in first and syphon the cider onto it. I reckon there's enough turbulence there to get it mixed in, and the yeast will find any that's on the bottom sooner or later anyway.
Only time I've failed to get carbonation was when I tried those re-usable plastic caps instead of proper crown caps.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Ok so my gallon of cider is now 15 day and still not clear it looks a good colour and I can see the sediment on the bottom but it's not clear? Should I wait till it is clear or a bit more clearer.

simco999

Post by simco999 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Get it down your neck!!!

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Lol ok :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm

villalad1 wrote:Ok so my gallon of cider is now 15 day and still not clear it looks a good colour and I can see the sediment on the bottom but it's not clear? Should I wait till it is clear or a bit more clearer.
My last batch took 20 count them 20 days... But it was the one I did when I'd run out of nutrient. And then bottling kept being put off for various reasons, it could have gone earlier. By the time I bottled, it was crystal, you could read through it, demijohn width. I usually bottle a bit before that, but it was still doing the odd bubble so I knew there was still live yeast for the carbonation. In fact its twin is only getting bottled tomorrow (23 days) - only difference in recipe is a few caraway seeds, which have finally given up rising to the top and the thing's now pretty clear but not crystal.
If you can plainly see the sediment on the far side of the demi, it's clear enough - it'll do final clearing in the bottles - but a day or so longer won't hurt if you can stand it.

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Ye I'm going to leave it a tad longer. Iv got two more on the go so if I ruin the first iv got backup lol. I will leave it in the bottles for a good wile because iv read and u guys have also said it gets better with time. Thanks for all of your helps it's great been able to call on your expertise.
Matty :)

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 pm

just for info, i might have found a neat work around the lack of proper pear juice ( or the aldi pear pulp problem ) but its proving a little difficult to get hold of right now - hopefully i'll have more to report later in the week :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

villalad1

First batch of cider

Post by villalad1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 am

Ye that sounds brill keep us informed the OH loves pear cider :) well u got to keep um happy lol.