Oh no!

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Skittlebrau

Oh no!

Post by Skittlebrau » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Mistake made during bottling. Forgot to StarSan the outside of the tube when racking from the FV to the bottling bucket. Hopefully the yeast see off any nasties that that got in. Eek...

Skittlebrau

Re: Oh no!

Post by Skittlebrau » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 am

Realise I've not really asked a question here. I'm sure many of you have made very similar errors. I suppose what I want to know is do I have a hope of having okay beer now that I've done this, or shall I just pour it all down the drain now?

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am

I only ever rinse my bottles and tubes under the tap. I have not had an infection in my ale from the tap water. the only time i did have a problem was when some steriliser got into the bottling bucket! I reckon you'll be fine.

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37 am

There is a very good chance that you will get away with it, especially if the tube was clean. Finished beer has a certain level of resistance to infection.

As it's in the bottle now, there is no point worrying about it. You've done the work so give it chance to mature, sample one now and again and definitely don't be in a hurry to tip it down the drain!

But do try to remember to sanitise the tube next time... :D

simco999

Post by simco999 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 pm

boingy wrote:There is a very good chance that you will get away with it, especially if the tube was clean. Finished beer has a certain level of resistance to infection.

As it's in the bottle now, there is no point worrying about it. You've done the work so give it chance to mature, sample one now and again and definitely don't be in a hurry to tip it down the drain!

But do try to remember to sanitise the tube next time... :D
+1

I am amazed at how quickly some members on here want to ditch their hard gotten gains at the first sign of trouble. :=P :=P :=P

If it gets infected and it really can't be drunk - then ditch it!!! Until then leave it alone.

(Sorry Skittlebrau not having a go at you - it just seems to happen all the time!!!)

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm

That's what I hoped. Alcohol content plus well-established yeast population plus much lower sugar content should all help reduce the risk, I guess.

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Don't worry simco. I don't want to ditch it, just wanted to know that I do have a hope of not having to!

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Another tap rinser here :lol: not had a problem yet. Water is clorinated and assuming you've sterilised the bottles well your chances of avoiding infection are very good.

Beer is a hardier thing than you realise :lol: remember that its origins are in water PURIFICATION !
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

simco999

Post by simco999 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Skittlebrau wrote:Don't worry simco. I don't want to ditch it, just wanted to know that I do have a hope of not having to!
Hehe - no worries - I only ditched one out of 29 AGs and about 10 kits - my fault - thought I knew what I was doing but didn't!!!

I'm still learning (Leonardo Da Vinci).

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Turned out there was no harm done here. This beer is getting better and better!