How long will they be sterile?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
raitch

How long will they be sterile?

Post by raitch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I sterilised some bottles last night to finish my Scammonden Dark but i got called into work and didn't get home till late. They've been sat on the kitchen table since (working again today) on a bottle tree. I really can't be bothered messing around with them again (i do it 6 at a time in the sink) but i don't want to risk the batch with non-sterile bottles.

Do you think they are still ok to use?

Rob

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: How long will they be sterile?

Post by Ditch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Raitch; What ever ye 'sterilised' them with could have some bearing ..... :|

raitch

Post by raitch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 pm

VWP solution.

I might stick them in the dishwasher with some more to make sure.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm

VWP? Never used that one, mate. Is it a rinser, or a non rinse?

My personal reckoning, see, is pretty much this:

Stuff like bleach? (Complete and total) rinser! Sticks like 'it to a blanket. Needs a bit of shifting, regardless. Otherwise, it just sits there, destroying most microbes to come its way. I like bleach! :wink:

Now, these Non Rinse / Drip Dry and use solutions? If VWP's one of those? I'd say to Definitely re sanitise. I mean, in your time scale? They've dripped. They've dried. The gear's, presumably, become Inactive?

Not stopping bacteria any more then.

Ye need to clinch what ye have there though. Someone'll be along to tell ye.

And, this is only my own viewpoint on such matters too. Each to their own. But; I wouldn't waste my hard earned beer for the sake of a cut corner. Or a gamble.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 pm

+1 to Ditch
Thin bleach offers a protective layer untill you start rinsing them out, anything else I would only give 2 hrs max before i'd re-sanitise.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 pm

VWP is a rinser - hypochlorate sterilser like bleach, but tbh - for the sake of another 10 minute dip and rinse, is it worth risking a brew infection ?
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

duffymoon

Post by duffymoon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am

My view is fairly relaxed & I've never once had an "off" bottle even keeping some for a year. I just wash my bottles by hand in some washing up liquid using a bottle washer brush then stick them all in an intense (70C) dishwash - no dishwasher tablet & no chemicals.

It works for me. With bottles I look at it as if one of them is contaminated that's just one pint ruined. Sanitising FVs, spoons, fish-tank heater, etc. is another matter & domestos original is my friend. :D

St. Ailbhe's Brewery

Post by St. Ailbhe's Brewery » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I use Star San, non rinse, never had a problem with it.

Leave them soaking in it for a few minutes and then simply tip the water out: no rinsing, nothing.

Mix at about 30ml to 25l. It's great stuff.

Star San is a flavorless, odorless, no-rinse, food grade sanitizer. When used according to directions Star San will completely eliminate all microorganisms that it comes into contact with. Star San acts quickly (3-5 minutes), and foams to sanitize cracks, cervices, and other "impossible" places in your equipment. Star San will leave a microscopic film on sanitized items that will continue to protect your bottles and equipment even after they have dried. This will not effect the quality, flavor, clarity, or color of your beer or wine. Star San is a blend of phosphoric acid and 'hard' sulfonic acid (dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid). This synergistic blend provides a unique killing system that is unaffected by excessive organic soils.

raitch

Post by raitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 pm

I've only ever used vwp or the youngs equivalent. Never tried bleach, i've always been worried about it for some reason. Must work out cheaper though.

Star san sounds good with the no rinse.

I've put them in the dishwasher with the vwp on a hot cycle this time. I'll let you know if it's a fail.

Thanks for all the advise.

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 am

raitch wrote:I've only ever used vwp or the youngs equivalent. Never tried bleach, i've always been worried about it for some reason. Must work out cheaper though.
Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys value thin bleach is about 45 pence for a big bottle and that'll do 3-4 brew days easy... Its just a pig when you slosh some down the front of a bright red French Connection t-shirt! :oops: (I now have dedicated brewday clothes).

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 pm

bigdave wrote: Its just a pig when you slosh some down the front of a bright red French Connection t-shirt! :oops: (I now have dedicated brewday clothes).
Dave; I lost countless pairs of perfectly good denims to the dreaded 'Grope'!

Ye know ..... well, ye probably don't actually! ..... But, us guys unconsciously give ourselves a little grope more times than we'd care to think about. Perhaps the action of bending over, say, to take something out of a sterilising bucket, misaligns our zip and; Grope! Even as we just move across to the sink.

Too late, of course! Plunged our hand into a bucket of bleach solution. Straightened up. Grope. Right there! F**king bleach all over ye cod piece! Rots it out in no time :(

I've specifically trained myself now. No matter what, I won't readjust myself till my hands have been rinsed off.

Cost me a fortune, figuring that out #-o

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Ditch wrote:
bigdave wrote: Its just a pig when you slosh some down the front of a bright red French Connection t-shirt! :oops: (I now have dedicated brewday clothes).
Dave; I lost countless pairs of perfectly good denims to the dreaded 'Grope'!

Ye know ..... well, ye probably don't actually! ..... But, us guys unconsciously give ourselves a little grope more times than we'd care to think about. Perhaps the action of bending over, say, to take something out of a sterilising bucket, misaligns our zip and; Grope! Even as we just move across to the sink.

Too late, of course! Plunged our hand into a bucket of bleach solution. Straightened up. Grope. Right there! F**king bleach all over ye cod piece! Rots it out in no time :(

I've specifically trained myself now. No matter what, I won't readjust myself till my hands have been rinsed off.

Cost me a fortune, figuring that out #-o

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fermenting:-
FV 1 - Festival Spiced Winter Ale
FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Drinking:-
Keg 1 - Nothing

Conditioning:-

Bottles - Brewferm Winter Ale
Bottles - Brewferm Triple

Next
Work in progress
Old Tin of Coopers Cerveza
Couple of old tins of stuff to experiment with!