Looking for a good porter receipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
happyhops

Looking for a good porter receipe

Post by happyhops » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 pm

I am looking for a good porter receipe , maybe similar to sneck lifter if possible. All response appreciated.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Looking for a good porter receipe

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:30 pm

John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

happyhops

Post by happyhops » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks, that is a good starting pint for me.

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:21 am

Gail Porter is nice and always goes down well with mates.

Think its on site here in the recipe section.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Porter is one of my all time fav styles and I have recipes for both a really nice brown porter (very similar to Fuller's London Pride) as well as an American Robust porter (slightly modified Edmund Fitzgerald Porter). I actually prefer the brown porter but the robust recipe won me a metal a few years back in a very big contest over here (I bet I haven't brewed that beer in four years but I'm going to do it again this summer). Unfortunately, I don't have the formulations in front of me but the brown porter is essentially right out of "Brewing Classic Styles" by the great Jamil (I think I screwed with it a little but not much). By the way, I agree with Jamil Z., if you want good brown porter you must use around a pound of brown malt in a 5 gallon batch, it makes all the difference. I like to use WLP02 because I am so fond of Fuller's products but I bet it would be good with almost any quality English Ale yeast.

One other thing I ran across recently which I am going to try once my production schedule frees up a bit. I found a recipe for an Imperial porter with vanilla and bourbon (and I most likely will also oak mine a bit). This hippie who lives in Oregon came up with the recipe and I understand it is all the rage. I bought another cornie keg so that I could let it age awhile then carbonate it and run it into small bottles with my counter pressure filler. The beer will be pretty potent so it should be one of those that you drink out of a snifter while sitting by a fire, sounds like good fun to me. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)