Is this an infection?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Barticus

Is this an infection?

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Brown bits floating on top of a 13 day old St Peters Ruby Red.

Is it an infection?

If not will it sink or do I need to syphon into a second FV rather than use tap and mini bottler?

Thanks

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Re: Is this an infection?

Post by subfaction » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Looks normal to me, just syphon it will likey drop out when you start moving the liquid around.

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Cheers mate. Guess I'll get used to all the different gremlins eventually :lol:

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi Mate

Thats perfectly normal and is left behind when you syphon into your keg or bottling bucket, if you bottle that way!

Cheers

Fermenting:-
FV 1 - Festival Spiced Winter Ale
FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Drinking:-
Keg 1 - Nothing

Conditioning:-

Bottles - Brewferm Winter Ale
Bottles - Brewferm Triple

Next
Work in progress
Old Tin of Coopers Cerveza
Couple of old tins of stuff to experiment with!

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Looks normal to me. I bottle from a tap on the FV and what you see will be left behind. Just keep an eye on it as the level drops. I always tip my FV too.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks all. I do have a tap on the FV so I'll just bottle using the little bottler thingy ma bob.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I would rack it in to another vessel, with your priming sugar and bottle from there, you don't want all that yeast coming through.

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm

crafty john wrote:I would rack it in to another vessel, with your priming sugar and bottle from there, you don't want all that yeast coming through.
New vessels not coming til Fathers day [-o< Might just wait and give that a go.

Thanks all.

t0ph0id

Post by t0ph0id » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Barticus wrote:
crafty john wrote:I would rack it in to another vessel, with your priming sugar and bottle from there, you don't want all that yeast coming through.

Thanks all.
I racked to a second vessel for the first time before bottling on Saturday, will definitely be doing it from now on, mixes the priming sugar better and left a lot of the crap behind.

winka

Post by winka » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm

This is how I buggered my last brew up. I was racking to a second FV with sugar soloution in, and whilst syphoning managed to get a load of the brown bits sucked through my racking cane and into the bulk primed beer, also once I was getting near the bottom and tilting the primary FV managed to pull the racking cane out the beer and had to restart the syphon, not easy when holding and tilting the first FV on the dining table and trying to suck and get the tube into the priming FV on the floor :? so got a shed load of sediment through aswell.

Anyway had to leave another couple of days while things settled, thus wasting the priming, forgot to then prime the bottles and I now have 39.5 pints of flat export #-o

Cheers

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:45 pm

t0ph0id wrote:
Barticus wrote:

Thanks all.
I racked to a second vessel for the first time before bottling on Saturday, will definitely be doing it from now on, mixes the priming sugar better and left a lot of the crap behind.
Do mix the priming sugar with boiling water and add it before or after the beer goes in?

Also how much mixing / stirring do you have to do to make sure the priming sugar is well mixed in?

Does all that mixing not risk infection?

t0ph0id

Post by t0ph0id » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Barticus wrote:
t0ph0id wrote:
Barticus wrote:

Thanks all.
Do mix the priming sugar with boiling water and add it before or after the beer goes in?
Before so that it mixes well as you syphon from FV to bottling bucket.

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:48 pm

winka wrote:This is how I buggered my last brew up. I was racking to a second FV with sugar soloution in, and whilst syphoning managed to get a load of the brown bits sucked through my racking cane and into the bulk primed beer, also once I was getting near the bottom and tilting the primary FV managed to pull the racking cane out the beer and had to restart the syphon, not easy when holding and tilting the first FV on the dining table and trying to suck and get the tube into the priming FV on the floor :? so got a shed load of sediment through aswell.

Anyway had to leave another couple of days while things settled, thus wasting the priming, forgot to then prime the bottles and I now have 39.5 pints of flat export #-o

Cheers
Oh dear! A nerve racking day awaits then :shock:

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Barticus; I won't just repeat the mantra that " It looks perfectly normal, to me. " Even if it does. I'll answer ye question: " Is this an infection? " In a more hands on and practical way.

One day, Barticus looks at his beer and thinks; " Ooh. This looks iffy! I wonder if it's an infection? ". Okay? Well, f**k getting the camera out and showing us pictures. Cut to the chase. Pour off a mouthful. If the FV has no tap? Syphon it.

And, I promise you; Having got it in ye mouth? If ye ever talk to me again? It wasn't an infection.

Why complicate things. See? 8)

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:49 pm

I put my priming sugar i a cup and add enought boiling water to desolve it, then put the sugar solution in the FV.
Then I siphon off the ale in to the 'bottling fv', the swirling of the beer transfer is enough to make sure the beer/sugar is well mixed before bottling - no stiring involved.