sugars for carbonation

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

sugars for carbonation

Post by lee1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 pm

hi all got a edme larger in fv what sugar and how much for bottling ? thanks :D
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

purpleyeti
Tippler

Re: sugars for carbonation

Post by purpleyeti » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04 pm

first question how much beer in the fv and how fizzy do you like it and is it getting bottled or barreled?

lee1

Post by lee1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm

getting bottled mate , just like mi lager quite fizzy , 40 pints :D

purpleyeti
Tippler

Post by purpleyeti » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

i think the standard is about 6-8 grams per liter for a larger. i tend to use 80gms in a 20l brew length for ales but thats quite flat

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm

150 -180 grams of houshold sugar for the batch if its lager or cider.
Can't say per bottle as you didn't state your bottle sizes, but 1 level teaspoon is 6g as a guide if your not batch priming.

lee1

Post by lee1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

hi my bottles are 500ml so 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle ? by the way geezah what is bulk priming :?:

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Bulk priming is when you transfer all your beer from the initial (primary) fermenter in to a new fresh sanitised fermenter (you add your sugar solution first) and you bottle from that secondary fermenter.
It helps with leaving behind the sediment, allows for the sugar solution to be well mixed and gives an even carbonation to each bottle.

If your using 500ml bottles i'd say 1 flat level tsp of sugar per bottle is fine.
If I was priming a bottle, i would get a peice of paper about the size of a cd and put a fold in it, then tip the sugar on to the flat paper and use the crease of the fold to deliver it to the bottle.

If your bottles are glass, I would prime 1 plastic bottle of the same size so you can squeeze it over the comming weeks to check for pressure build up and you will get to know how hard it should feel to be properly carbonated. ... i.e like a plastic bottle of coke for a hardness / squeeze test.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Geezah wrote:Bulk priming is when you transfer all your beer from the initial (primary) fermenter in to a new fresh sanitised fermenter (you add your sugar solution first) and you bottle from that secondary fermenter.
It helps with leaving behind the sediment, allows for the sugar solution to be well mixed and gives an even carbonation to each bottle.

If your using 500ml bottles i'd say 1 flat level tsp of sugar per bottle is fine.
If I was priming a bottle, i would get a peice of paper about the size of a cd and put a fold in it, then tip the sugar on to the flat paper and use the crease of the fold to deliver it to the bottle.

If your bottles are glass, I would prime 1 plastic bottle of the same size so you can squeeze it over the comming weeks to check for pressure build up and you will get to know how hard it should feel to be properly carbonated. ... i.e like a plastic bottle of coke for a hardness / squeeze test.
+1 for Geezah's comments. I would never do anything other than bulk prime. I even do it in the primary sometimes! I also agree with the amount and type of sugar suggested :D
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

lee1

Post by lee1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks for the good advice again fellas :)

t0ph0id

Post by t0ph0id » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:19 am

I'll be bottling a Cooper's Mexican Cerveza this weekend, 23litres, batch primed in 330ml bottles. How much sugar would you recommend?