San Miguel?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
john_drummer

San Miguel?

Post by john_drummer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Does anyone have an all grain recipe for San Miguel?

Mrs_D is partial to San Miguel & I thought I'd try a batch.

I have two books of recipes - 1) GW's BYOBRA, which doesn't have a single lager or even blonde ale recipe, and 2) Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy by Dave Line. #2 has a recipe for San Miguel, but it's based on an EDME lager kit and I was hoping to do this as an all grain brew.

Manx Guy

Re: San Miguel?

Post by Manx Guy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi!

I think ther is one in 200 clone brews... I don't have it in front of me but will look a little later when I get back home...

I seem to recall it uses adjuncts but can't recall if its rice or corn...
I do have a good recipe for a Grolsch-a-like if the Mrs lieks that...?

:)

Guy

8)

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

cheers Guy, that would be much appreciated.

we do have a recipe for Stella, which is a "good" second if we can't get the San Miguel recipe.
I think the book also contains carling black label, fosters, castlemaine XXXX (can you still get that?) and a number of other pub lagers, but San Miguel would be the lager of choice. It also has Pilsner Urquell, Holsten Pils, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Perroni,Chimay and many more, but guess what? The San Miguel recipe is a kit adaptation :-(

I have a varied stash to my own tastes (Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, Theakstons Best Bitter, and a nice hoppy citra blonde) but no lagers as yet, other than Coopers kits

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am

Ok
this should get you close to San Mig:
19 Litre batch (Corni)
OG 1051 FG 1011-1012
ABV 5.1%
IBU 21

Grain bill :
Lager Malt : 3.3 Kilo
Flacked Rice : 1.1 Kilo
Cara Hell : 170g
Munich Malt: 140g

90 Min mash at 65-66C or until starch is converted.
You can do a ceral mash & add it to the main mash but if you can get flacked rice there is no need to mash it seperately.
Hops:
Tettnanger to 15 IBU 90min
Tett to 6 IBU 15 min
Tett 28g at flame out/80C steep

Yeast: Safelager or Czech Pils yeast

Cheers!

Guy
8)

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm

fantastic! cheers Guy :-)

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 pm

having had to order the flaked rice, carahell & munich malt, and the tettnang, I decided to brew something else in the meantime. a batch of "wife beater" according to a recipe by Dave Line, "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy".

Recipe states for 20L, OG 1050:
3500g lager malt
400g wheat malt
45g hallertauer 90mins
45g saaz 90mins
15g saaz at flame out

I fed this into Brewmate, Brewmate said OG 1044 with that grain bill at 20L, so I thought "sod it, it'll be Stella Four" instead ;-)

OG 1042, now down to 1004, should be about ready to rack into a clean FV. 1042 down to 1004 works out at about 5% ABV so that's plenty strong enough.

No chance of lagering it somewhere cool at the mo, typical that summer finally decides to arrive just as it finished fermenting; so I'll bottle it & condition it as with a standard ale & see what happens

Grain & Hops for San Miguel should arrive by the weekend so that might be the next brew; or I might put on a single hop cascade pale ale job instead, my ale supplies are starting to run low: only 1 bottle of Citra Blonde left, 3 or 4 hobgoblins, 20 or so OSH & about 15-20 Theakston's Best bitter.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 am

Which yeast?

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 am

Hi!

The recipe I saw said 'Yeast: Safelager or Czech Pils yeast' as posted above, but I'm not sure what John who is brewing this used...
A couple (maybe 3) of packets of S23 pitched cool (12-14C) should get you a nice clean flavour unless you have access to liquid yeasts.

Cheers!

Guy
8)

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

I did this with Saflager S23, one packet. fermentation temp around 18 so maybe a little high, I'll see how this turns out when I bottle it over the weekend.
I can't get the temperature down any lower than that, consistently, so might experiment brewing a "lager-ale" kind of thing, using US05 rather than proper lager yeast.

next batch will be a Citra or Cascade blonde ale with MO & US05, as I'm starting to run low on ales. Haven't bought much from the shops lately though :-)

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi!

If you use lager yeast at 18C you'll get a bit more fruityness more like a steam beer...
One packet at those temps should be enough though...
MAybe a US05would be a good choice for this beer if you dont have temp control for cold fermentation.

Let us know how it turns out

:)

Guy
8)

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 pm

It got worse than fruity. acetobacter got in somehow :-( 4.5 gallons of Stella vinegar down the drain :-(
This was my second batch using lager malt & lager yeast, and both have gone down the drain. OK, I'm not blaming the vinegar on the malt or the yeast, but they're the only common factors with both my failed lagers. To date, none of my Ales have failed, and I'm onto BIAB #13 now. Hey, maybe that's it! unlucky 13

so.... my next batch is going to be a San Miguel inspired blonde ale using Maris Otter instead of the lager malt, Safale US-05 instead of lager yeast, but other than that, the grain & hop bill as kindly donated by Guy above. Let's see what that turns out like. It'll be a couple of weeks before I get around to it, gigging next weekend so no time to brew.

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 pm

ok, it's brew day for Sankt Mickael ;-) I can't call it San Miguel as it's not lager malt or lager yeast (the two common factors in my, to date two, failed lagers). More of a blonde ale. But St Michael sounds like something from M&S, so I don't want to call it that either :-)

19 litre OG1051, FG1013 (but I bet it goes lower than that, knowing US05 as I do); 5.01%ABV
BIAB so 26l mash volume, mash 90mins
3300g Pale Malt
1000g flaked rice
170g Carahell
140g Munich Malt

27g Tettnanger 90mins
31g Tettnanger 15mins
28g Tettnanger 0mins

3g irish moss 15mins
US-05 yeast

26l start liquid at 70deg strike, down to 21l in the pot after boil. 19l in the FV and a lot of soggy hops left in the pot.

32l pot, 26l water plus (3300+1000+140+170g) 4610g of grain and it's about 1cm from the top of the pot. Can't get any more in without risking spillage

Efficiency calculates out at 67.5% so I'm pretty pleased with that. immersion chiller got it down to 21degC in about 40 minutes, yeast pitched... and wait...

john_drummer

Post by john_drummer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 pm

FG 1006, bottled yesterday with no signs of anything wrong so far...

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:49 pm

How was this mate?
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

JKaranka

Post by JKaranka » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I can't believe I'm curious about the end result of something that is over 20% rice...