TTL with Wyeast 1469

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Jymbo
Hollow Legs

TTL with Wyeast 1469

Post by Jymbo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Got myself hold of some wyeast 1469 so I decided to have a rattle at GW's TTL clone. Followed the recipe precisely except for a few extra finishing Styrians and some more after flamneout. OG was bang on at 1042 and looks like FG will be bang on 1010. All in all it was a normal brew, but the yeast is not like anything I've used before.

I pitched the slap-pack without making a starter as it was fairly fresh and this was only a 1042 wort. 24 hours later and there were no signs of fermentation - I was nearly ready for tipping a packet of Safale-04 into the FV. But I left it for another 12 hours and thankfully it started to bubble very slowly. At 48 hours it started bubbling regularly and at day four it had a massive krausen which was very thin and whispy. After day 4 the krausen got really thick and sticky but it stayed thick until about day 8-9. Bubbling stopped around 1018, but after rousing a few times its started up again. Its been going 12 days now and the SG is around 1011, but it's still bubbling away. and still has a small amount of krausen on top.

Think I'll make a starter next time - although I have read some reports of it being a slow finisher even with a starter. Lets hope it's worth the wait.
Kegged: 'Nowt
Bottled: Summer Lightning, Belfast Ale, JPA, Guinness Foreign Export
http://www.hopandgrain.com

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: TTL with Wyeast 1469

Post by seymour » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Jymbo wrote:...Think I'll make a starter next time...
That's probably best practice. It sounds like you just had a pack with lower cell-count or struggling health. Shouldn't be a big problem, though, since you gave it the time it needed to reproduce. If it was a bit stressed,it may have generated some extra fruity esters, but that's appropriate to this type of beer anyway. Cheers!

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Cheers, Seymour,

Yeah, I usually do make a starter but I'm trying to streamline my processes as much as possible (without affecting quality of course). So I've cut my mash and boil times from 90 mins to 60 mins, and I only make a starter for higher OG worts. Maybe need to rethink that one #-o

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Jymbo wrote:...Maybe need to rethink that one #-o
Not necessarily. Just see how this tastes, and go from there. Many of us just sprinkle one pack of dry yeast with perfectly fine results. It would be different if you were trying to brew a super-transparent lager, but Big Brown English Ales are very forgiving.

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Day 19 and the FV is still bubbling (very slowly) - this thing won't finish - I took the FG a few days ago and it had already dropped from 1042 to 1009 - more than this yeast is supposed to attenuate, but it tasted fine so no infection. Hopefully it'll stop soon - I'd liked to get it bottled before the weekend.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Might be just temperature variations.
I'd give it a good old rouse to make sure as this yeast supposedly needs it!

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am

It's in the bottle now -at 1008. A few points lower than I expected. Looks really clear too, this yeast drops out very well.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 am

Yuk! Not the same brew in a bottle from my experience and you will also notice the bottle version has a different ABV. I wonder why that is?

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 am

I've often wondered that myself. But I do like the bottled version, it still has a good malty flavour even though it's weaker than the cask.

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Jymbo wrote:...even though it's weaker than the cask.
Yeah, this is a weird one. I don't know why either.
My understanding is that normally the cask recipe is the lower ABV%, the original recipe as fashioned by the brewer, intended to be delivered and consumed relatively quickly. The bottled recipe is typically the higher ABV% because it needs to sit on shelves longer, survive export, etc...

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Jymbo wrote:Day 19 and the FV is still bubbling (very slowly) - this thing won't finish - I took the FG a few days ago and it had already dropped from 1042 to 1009 - more than this yeast is supposed to attenuate, but it tasted fine so no infection. Hopefully it'll stop soon - I'd liked to get it bottled before the weekend.
I used 1469 once and it took three weeks to finish. I didn't make a starter though, just smacked the pack the day before. I will try it again one day but for now I'm sticking with SO4 and WLP002.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

This yeast may have taken a while but it was worth the wait. This is the best brew I've made in a long time and I've done this recipe with a number of other yeasts. I'll definitely be using 1469 again, tho' I'll make a starter next time. Even though it attenuated from 1042 down to 1008 it still left a rich malty flavour and didn't mute the hops. The esters it produced added to the complexity too without being overpowering and it dropped out very quickly leaving the beer very bright within a week or two.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm

1469 is my favourite. Currently sitting in my fridge on a fourth generation slant (could be older, swapped slants with Ali).
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget