Videne antiseptic

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
FatGaz

Videne antiseptic

Post by FatGaz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Does anyone else use Videne to sanitize their bottles and equipment?

I have used this for a couple of years and never had any problems. BUT, a month or so ago, I noticed it was about 6 months out of date, so I bought a new bottle.

It appears that the out of date Videne was not effective, as I have tasted three beers that I brewed next to each other (AG32,33, and 34), and they all taste like vinegar. I am gutted. 140 bottles need to go down the drain. Sad times :cry: Not tried '35' yet, fingers crossed.

So, if you use Videne, keep an eye on the expiry date!

Belter

Re: Videne antiseptic

Post by Belter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm

I had two failed batches after using Videne. Moved on to starsan. No problems since.

FatGaz

Post by FatGaz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm

I never had problems before the out of date issue. Use 2ml per litre, and always rinse 3 times.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm

FatGaz wrote:I never had problems before the out of date issue. Use 2ml per litre, and always rinse 3 times.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

It's no rinse at that dilution . . .Rinsing renders it in effective . . . in fact you may as well not bother using videne at all if you rinse . . . and that could well be the source of your infection #-o #-o #-o

FatGaz

Post by FatGaz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Aleman wrote:
It's no rinse at that dilution . . .
I've heard this before, but am worried it may taint the beer, as I can still smell it if I don't rinse. :?:

DRB

Post by DRB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 am

Aleman wrote:
FatGaz wrote:I never had problems before the out of date issue. Use 2ml per litre, and always rinse 3 times.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

It's no rinse at that dilution . . .Rinsing renders it in effective . . . in fact you may as well not bother using videne at all if you rinse . . . and that could well be the source of your infection #-o #-o #-o
So if thats the case anyone who rinses after sanitising are wasting their time and shouldn't bother sanitising then? just wash and go. How about those who use bleach is there a no rinse solution for that then. On a personal note I rinse every time after sanitising and have had 1 infection,maybe i'm just lucky

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 am

Peracitic Acid is the no rinse sanitiser of choice. Diluted to about 250/1. Yes you can smell it after use but it certainly doesn't taint.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Belter

Post by Belter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 am

You can rinse with boiled water

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 am

Used Vidine for about a year. Kept on getting odd flavours in beer, some worse than others. Finally switched to starsan. So far so good.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 am

I've used Videne for 15 brews and never had an infection or tasted anything odd.
I use 1.25ml per litre as no rinse, 2ml per litre would require a rinse and would likely taint.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 am

jonnyt wrote:I use 1.25ml per litre as no rinse, 2ml per litre would require a rinse and would likely taint.
Up to 2.5ml/litre (25ppm) is still no rinse! I was talking to the guys at Evans Vanodine about one of their very similar products, and he was saying that at these dilutions there would be very little harm in drinking a litre of it . . . just don't make a habit of it.

If you consider just how much is left after draining (or if you want to be even more cautions drip drying), and then how much that is diluted when you fill the bottle with beer, the quantities are minute and well below the taste threshold. . . . as a test I filled and drained a bottle with 12.5ppm videne solution, then filled it with water, and in a blind taste test no one could actually identify the sanitised bottle compared to plain water.

I suspect taints are coming from elsewhere

Brownster

Post by Brownster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm

+1 for Videne, used it now for about six brews with no taints and no infections, using no-rinse dilution of 1.5ml per ltr in un-treated water. Only trouble I find with using it is it doesn't cling to instruments for example a long plastic paddle. I seem to remember being told Starsan has an additive that makes it foam and cling making it a better option if that's true. Any ideas on doing this with videne would be a bonus?!?

FatGaz

Post by FatGaz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Had a brewday yesterday, and used videne @ 1.25ml per litre and didn't rinse. Stuck my head in the garage this morning and its fermenting away nicely - fingers crossed all will be fine :)