Back on track..........sort of!

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Back on track..........sort of!

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Well you may have noticed I haven't been on much for a while...............err O.K. never mind.

Today was an impulsive brew an will be using the last of some old ingredients which I would normally shudder at the thought of people using. I'm frightened to admit just how out of date the stuff is, but it's going to make beer and beer is something I'm very short of!

It is being fitted in around my seriously sick horse and other daily routines, so has been thrown together with estimated quantities,temperatures and very little thought. Probably how it was done centuries ago!

The basis is 4.5KG of pale malt 200g of Cara Munich and 300g of Wheat. EKG mid boil and Cascade at the end. About 40g of each.

It is in the boiler now but started of as kettles of hot water and an adjusted mash temp to about 65C and a sloppy mash at that! The runnungs have been boiled in two stages as I have collected the two batch sparges in between doing other things.

Of course, this will turn out to be the best beer I have ever made and I will never be able to replicate it................mmmm must look for some yeast ( I have some Young's multi purpose yeast for emergencies and regular Turbo Cider. I have had it for 4 years and it performs brilliantly in the TC.....super clear and very flocculant.)

If all else fails, my horse will eat the spent grains!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

barney

Re: Back on track..........sort of!

Post by barney » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Well done for cramming in a brew John, good luck with it.

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Good to see you back, hope your horse gets better soon :)

I'm still using some 6 months out of date black malt and amber with no noticeable problems.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

I have used various malts which are a lot more out of date, some nearly 3 years and they worked fine, I believe it's all to do with how it is stored.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks guys.
I found some SO4, rehydrated it and then went for my emergency Youngs yeast. The SO4 just didnt look or smell right. It was after all a repackaged one from the malt miller and err, ah hm, dated 2010 :shock:

The runnings from the boiler were as clear as some finished beer I have made. By far the clearest I have ever achieved and tasted pretty good too.

If I'm true to form, I will be drinking this in about 10 days :D
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife