Best fridge for fermenting and cooling king keg/beerspheres?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Best fridge for fermenting and cooling king keg/beerspheres?

Post by lord groan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi folks,

Just the other day SWMBO asked if a beer fridge would make a good birthday present! Wooohoo! Now it may come to nothing but all of a sudden I felt an overpowering need for one. What I'd like is one I can modify the way Jim (and countless others) have done by fitting a heater for fermentation. I'd want to run it during the summer as a kingkeg or beersphere chiller too. Space and money are very limited so a standard undercounter 60cm wide jobbie is likely all I can manage/justify. So can I ask - has anyone identified any particular model or brand which seem destined for homebrewing adaptation? This Beko - http://www.tesco.com/direct/beko-ul584a ... d=594-1862 looks like it might do nicely but I'd rather rely on the collected experience of you good people before getting one.

thanks all
lg

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Best fridge for fermenting and cooling king keg/beersphe

Post by Kev888 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't know specifically, but from my own experiences with cornies you really need to find it in a showroom somewhere and measure it. Allow for the keg to go on a shelf above the lump/intrusion caused by the compressor and take note of any light/switch/fan gubbins that may also add restrictions. I'd also say avoid if it has an inbuilt freezer/ice compartment towards the top - these 'can' be bent out of the way but thats with freecycle ones, it would be risky with a paid-for fridge.

Depending on how you intend to use it, also consider gas; there are various approaches like widget world systems injector bulbs and Jim has just made something for a corny disconnect but all take some clearance and its unlikely you'll get space for an S30 cylinder directly on top.

Cheers
kev
Kev

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Best fridge for fermenting and cooling king keg/beersphe

Post by lord groan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Cheers Kev888

Its still at the 'thinking about' stage. I've not got into cornies yet so I'm thinking about one with room for a pretty standard 25l FV or a mango barrel converted to fermenter. Then when not brewing in the summer using it to chill a keg - currently I've got a couple of beerspheres, a bottom tap king keg and an old boots bottom tap keg. A standard undercounter jobbie seems likely, good point about the freezer compartment tho, it'd need a larder style fridge with the chiller as a backplate.
thanks for the input!
lg