US-05 Advice

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: US-05 Advice

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 am

seymour wrote:
robbarwell wrote:used brewery finnings.....

still muddy puddle
Just to play devil's advocate...so what? It doesn't taste or smell bad, right? Simply tell people it's a hefeweizen if you must.

Beer clarity is overrated.
Not for me, it would be like going out with the worlds most beautiful woman and putting a bag over her head. Remove the bag reveal the true glory, make yourself really proud :=P
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 am

I agree, Orlando. It's an area I'm having problems with. Just don't seem to be getting it quite sparklingly clear. With my latest brew I've used Auxiliary finings and Isinglass, but still not star-bright. There again, it's only been in cask for a week so it might come good. I'm wondering if it's due to allowing trub from the boiler into the FV.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Dave, it's been my mission of late to achieve crystal clarity and I think I've cracked it. This is what I do, I admit I'm not sure whether there are aspects of this that is unnecessary but because of the outcome I'm leaving it as is.

First of all I try to achieve maximum wort clarity at each step, so I recirculate the mash and recirculate after the boil (using protafloc last 15 minutes) I then let it settle for 1/2 hour when I usually do a hop steep. My hop stopper (copper manifold) has a muslin bag tied over it to maximise wort clarity during run off to the FV. The boil always has both elements running flat out for 1 hour to achieve the best hot break I can and the use of a plate chiller maximise a fast cold break into the FV. After fermentation I rack off to a jerry can using Kwik Clear as my finings and move to a cold place for 3 days. This gives the beer a lot of time to clear and means the minimum of yeast is transferred to packaging. I then prime as usual.

I have primed and fined at the same time but the secondary fermentation keeps the yeast in suspension and of course if you are kegging that can be quite a lot of yeast.

Having said all that if I leave the beer in a cool place for long enough even the ones with a lot of wheat in clear eventually, I just like to drink my paler beers earlier as I think hop aroma fades quicker in these and they don't age as well as dark beers.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

orlando wrote:Hi Dave, it's been my mission of late to achieve crystal clarity and I think I've cracked it. This is what I do, I admit I'm not sure whether there are aspects of this that is unnecessary but because of the outcome I'm leaving it as is.

First of all I try to achieve maximum wort clarity at each step, so I recirculate the mash and recirculate after the boil (using protafloc last 15 minutes) I then let it settle for 1/2 hour when I usually do a hop steep. My hop stopper (copper manifold) has a muslin bag tied over it to maximise wort clarity during run off to the FV. The boil always has both elements running flat out for 1 hour to achieve the best hot break I can and the use of a plate chiller maximise a fast cold break into the FV. After fermentation I rack off to a jerry can using Kwik Clear as my finings and move to a cold place for 3 days. This gives the beer a lot of time to clear and means the minimum of yeast is transferred to packaging. I then prime as usual.

I have primed and fined at the same time but the secondary fermentation keeps the yeast in suspension and of course if you are kegging that can be quite a lot of yeast.

Having said all that if I leave the beer in a cool place for long enough even the ones with a lot of wheat in clear eventually, I just like to drink my paler beers earlier as I think hop aroma fades quicker in these and they don't age as well as dark beers.
That all sounds reasonable to me. I think I need to pay closer attention to those areas you mention, particularly cooling, settling and recirculating after the boil I think.

Thanks for the input Orlando.

By the way, if you read my post in the liquor forum, I'm pretty pleased with my first brew using Martin's Bru 'n Water. How are your efforts going?
Best wishes

Dave

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Well I must be at 5 brews now using it and it has improved the beer no end. I now feel that I'm much more in control of my water treatment and can manipulate that as easily now as I can with adjusting mash temps to affect fermentability.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 pm

orlando wrote:Well I must be at 5 brews now using it and it has improved the beer no end. I now feel that I'm much more in control of my water treatment and can manipulate that as easily now as I can with adjusting mash temps to affect fermentability.
Unfortunately I'm restricted to around one brew per month. I'm planning a hoppy IPA next Thursday, so hopefully the improvements will continue. I'll also modify post-boil procedures and see if that makes a difference to clarity. I'll feed back on the outcomes.
Best wishes

Dave

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Sulphate:Cloride ratio has been the key to these. If you keep it around 2:1 then the amounts aren't so important as the ratio itself.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:25 pm

orlando wrote:Sulphate:Cloride ratio has been the key to these. If you keep it around 2:1 then the amounts aren't so important as the ratio itself.
Yes I remember reading that recently.
Best wishes

Dave

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:20 pm

I used to recirculate the mash too but find this is now unnecessary. I've found that the trick to clear wort into the fermenter is simply protofloc and time. Allowing the wort to settle after chill down for 30 mins allows the proteins to coagulate and settle on top of the hop bed. The drain off is a bit cloudy at the beginning and at the end. The big middle part is crystal though. ;-) Check out the pics on this brewday post: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47727

Recirculating is a satisfying process though. Used to love watching the wort getting clearer and clearer...

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 am

floydmeddler wrote:I used to recirculate the mash too but find this is now unnecessary. I've found that the trick to clear wort into the fermenter is simply protofloc and time. Allowing the wort to settle after chill down for 30 mins allows the proteins to coagulate and settle on top of the hop bed. The drain off is a bit cloudy at the beginning and at the end. The big middle part is crystal though. ;-) Check out the pics on this brewday post: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47727

Recirculating is a satisfying process though. Used to love watching the wort getting clearer and clearer...
+1 on Floyds top tip!

I used to spend ages and ages recirculating at every step to get clear beer. I stumbled upon the same as above when using an immersion chiller. After cooling is done, remove the chiller and pop a sanitized lid on the boiler. Leave the wort to settle for between 30 mins to an hour while you get on with tidying up. When I run the wort off to the FVs now, there's about half a litre to a litre or so of cruddy wort - don't chuck it though as the crud quickly settles out. Clarity right through until near the end of run off when a few hop seeds sometimes appear.

Bish bash bosh, job's a goodun. I sometime pour the first run off, after it's settled, into the Fv too, avoiding the settled crud from going but allowing abit of the cold break material in for a bit of additional yeast fud! Otherwise, use that run off for your next yeast starter.

After primary is over and a couple of days diacetyl rest I move the Fvs to a cold place - or drop the temp depending on what else is sharing the FV cabinet and what stage of fermentation it's at - and leave them a couple of days to settle. Transfer to secondary FVs and leave them in the cold for another 4 days or longer depending on when I can get them bottled. Transfer from secondary and batch prime in the bottling buckets, bottle.

4 days in the warm, good clear beer. 7 days longer in the cool, very clear beer. No finings other than Protofloc in the boil at 15 to 20 mins from flameout.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm

stevetk189 wrote:
floydmeddler wrote:...remove the chiller and pop a sanitized lid on the boiler...
Or you can drape a clean tea towel over it... The missus loves when I do that!