Botting lidl A/J cider for summer drinking

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Botting lidl A/J cider for summer drinking

Post by lord groan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm

As soon as my Festival Father Hooks Bitter has fermented I intend to start a batch of Lidl A/J based cider using the yeast from the bitter, I like it really dry so am happy to let it ferment out and then want to bottle condition. My question is, If I bottle in brown 1pt beer bottles, and keep it somewhere dark and cool will it keep OK for a few months. I've made one previous batch which tasted great, but that went into 2l PET bottles and got drunk within a month, so didn't need to keep for long
Anyone tried leaving their cider bottled for 3 months or so?
cheers
lg

Geezah

Re: Botting lidl A/J cider for summer drinking

Post by Geezah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Your cider will keep for over a year if sealed and stored correctly.

Why use the bitter yeast though?
A pkt of cider yeast is only £1.50 and will make the flavour right.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Currently drinking some of my May '12 vintage Cranberry & Apple TC, which at 10 months old is superb - and its been dark stored in reclaimed clear NBA glass bottles. If anything, the ageing has removed the sharper edges from the tramp juice, making it the equal or better of most commercial premiums IMO.

I usually use Youngs Super wine yeast & nutrient for mine, but the youngs cider yeast does promote a more traditional cider flavour (advise you add a touch of yeast nutrient to the fermentation for optimal performance)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm

thanks for the reassurance! Only thinking of using the bitter yeast cos it seems a shame to waste it! I made the first brew using yeast recycled from another bitter and it worked out really well, will try a cider yeast this time then!
cheers
lg

FuzzySteve

Post by FuzzySteve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm

I've not managed to keep a Cider long enough to see how the profile changes. That said, I'm following some advice I found from Graysalchemy for my latest batch: I'm maturing it for three months under airlock in an FV.

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 pm

On the subject of cider yeasts - all these are recommended for cider by my (not very) LHBS. I'm tempted by the Lalvin description, not least by the mention of good flocculation, ought to make pouring bottle conditioned cider easier?

yeast link: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... U9WLjfHHXQ

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 am

I used Munton's Gold ale yeast for a TC once. Without side-by-side taste tests it's hard to be definite but I thought it gave a slightly softer fuller flavour.
It should keep for yonks if cool and dark, and will certainly improve markedly over the first month or two.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 am

lord groan wrote:On the subject of cider yeasts - all these are recommended for cider by my (not very) LHBS. I'm tempted by the Lalvin description, not least by the mention of good flocculation, ought to make pouring bottle conditioned cider easier?

yeast link: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... U9WLjfHHXQ
I've used Young's cider yeast for my last dozen or more batches, I find it compacts well given sensible conditioning time even with the ones that are primed to veryfizzy level, I leave the last 5ml or so in the bottle and I have no problem at all.
I've heard rumours that the most commonly available cider yeast is in fact the most commonly available champagne yeast anyway. I have no idea if it's true.