stainless pots

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

stainless pots

Post by Secla » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Where arepeople getting these from ?
I know a while ago when i was looking most were buying from french ebay. Is this still the case ?
Im looking at a 80l thermo pot and a couple of 80-100 litre stock pots.

DrewBrews

Re: stainless pots

Post by DrewBrews » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I emailed:

media-trust.Berglandfrance@msg.afterbuy.de

to buy my stainless pots.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Do they speak english ? My german is rusty to say the least

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Yep, they speak excellent English and the transaction is very smooth. I've bought from them twice.

irv
Steady Drinker

Post by irv » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 am

What are the prices for the different size pots, and cost of delivery?. I have read that the pots sold directly are slightly cheaper their ebay prices, however after searching through the forum posts, no one seems that open about costs.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

They quote on an individual basis and quotes are only valid for a few days. Your best bet is to contact them.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

I`ve used them many times, look on ebay for prices and sizes ebay.fr search for "marmite thermos" and then check the sellers other items.

Send them an email, get the prices (which will be cheaper than ebay publishd prices) they send you an invoice, you pay the invoice and wait fro them to arrive. To save money on shipping you can normally get 3 sent for the price 1.

Look through the for sale ads on Jims for FB`s etc.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:56 pm

irv wrote:What are the prices for the different size pots, and cost of delivery?. I have read that the pots sold directly are slightly cheaper their ebay prices, however after searching through the forum posts, no one seems that open about costs.
I bought a 50 litre thermopot and a 90 litre stockpot direct from the German company. The price I paid for the two including delivery was £120, so £60 each. Mind you, this was 18 months ago. Prices may have changed considerably with the Euro crisis and the dropping £.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm

80ltr thermos pots are at the moment 102 euros each + delivery

EDIT 100 ltr pots 49 Euros + delivery
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

setmash

Post by setmash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi,
What are the quality of these pots like ? Stainless grade 304 or 316 ? Thickness ? - 1.2mm ?, I only ask as Ive been using a couple of 100 litre pots from Ebay which are the standard Chinese kack and one of them has started to rust. Id love to know of a supplier that could provide 100l + pots of good quality without costing an arm and a leg :-)

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am

I've recently ordered from them and I have to say their customer service is terrible. They sell a massive range of things under the name alpina24.ch and I ended up with 3 tyre changers rather than 100 litre pots, the stock codes are 1 number apart. After 3 attempts to deliver what I assumed were stock pots I finally got a chance to open the boxes to find I'd been sent the wrong thing. This was about 2 weeks after they sent them and they obviously hadn't realised their mistake. I paid £160-ish and each of the tyre changers cost £1400 so I could have easily sold them on for a huge profit but decided to do the honest thing and tell the company.
They did not even apologise for the error and just got DHL Germany to call me to arrange a collection. They have since told me that they will not be sending out the pots until they receive the tyre changers. While I can understand their position, given the circumstances and the money I will have saved them I am massively p1ssed off with them.

Bottom line, you'll be ok as long as everything goes smoothly.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am

setmash wrote:Hi,
What are the quality of these pots like ? Stainless grade 304 or 316 ? Thickness ? - 1.2mm ?, I only ask as Ive been using a couple of 100 litre pots from Ebay which are the standard Chinese kack and one of them has started to rust. Id love to know of a supplier that could provide 100l + pots of good quality without costing an arm and a leg :-)
I sometimes wonder if there may be more than one company selling these pots, since different names seem to be used in different posts. Maybe it's the same company trading under different names. This is the company I dealt with: Bergland Handels GmbH. I can supply the email address of the person there that I contacted if it's useful. I must say I have no complaints with my pots, or the customer service. The SS grade is 304. Most manufacturers of high quality cookware use stainless steel similar to the Type 304 grade, which is pretty standard for cooking pots of all sizes. If the pots get a deep scratch when in use, or when you cut holes in them, it is important to re-passify the scratch or edges of the hole. This will keep rust at bay. Also make sure they they are fully dried and aired before storing. As to thickness, I would guess it to be 1mm or slightly less - they look to be roughly half the the thickness of the 2mm SS skirts I fit to all my SS pots.

Brighteyebeer
Piss Artist

Post by Brighteyebeer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm

I got a 33 litre stockpot from them last June. It was a replacement for (and upgrade from) a 19 litre pot off Fleabay. That one was extremely flimsy - I could flex the metal with my thumb! It lasted for 8 brews, by which time it had acqired 2 splits in the rim, which had gone an uneven oval shape - scrap!
The Bergland pot arrived 4 days after ordering it - I think their courier uses airfreight. I was impressed by how much sturdier it was/is than its predecessor. Cost then was about £34. This was c. 35% more than the Fleabay one for a better constructed item with around 60% more capacity - that's good value, I think. I've used it over 20 times, and there's no signs of any structural degradation, so I'm well pleased with Bergland's service and quality.
Cheers, Chris

setmash

Post by setmash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Thansk Chastuck...Ive been searching for SS skirts ..where do you source yours from ? I want to make a mashtun with centre bottom output. Do you weld yours on the pots ?

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:16 pm

setmash wrote:Thansk Chastuck...Ive been searching for SS skirts ..where do you source yours from ? I want to make a mashtun with centre bottom output. Do you weld yours on the pots ?
My skirts are bolted on with SS bolts and screws. Here's the links to my pots, where I explained how I made them:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53539
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53557
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53572

I had a lot of difficulties finding a stainless steel fabricator who would make the skirts at a reasonable price, but eventually found one in Derbyshire. One of my pots uses a skirt with a top - rather like a giant cake stand. This method proved to be more effective but much more expensive, but the company was more local to me at Wickford. If you want the details of the companies send me a pm.