Fruity Dubbel?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Fruity Dubbel?

Post by Cozzyb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 am

Hi all,

Had Fly By Night at Wetherspoons last week, its described as a Dubbel style beer made in collab with La Trappe Trappist.
http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-b ... y-By-Night

It was very fruity tasting, I would describe it as a raisin flavor and nothing I have ever had before it was lovely, so I want to make something similar. Anyone got any fruity Dubbel recipes, hopefully with a Belgian dry yeast to save money compared to WL etc.

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Fruity Dubbel?

Post by zgoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm

There's no such thing like dry Belgian yeast, unfortunately. Some say T-58 is good enough but it's a sub only. Can not be compared to Chimay, Westmalle or Rochefort.

Dubbel is usually made of pale malt, dark sugar or candi syrup, sometimes Special B. Mash dry, hops are German, British, Styrian and Saaz, moderate bitterness. Highly carbonated. But the key is yeast, buy good liquid and you'd not be disappointed. Make some patersbier first, then use the whole slurry in dubbel. I usually make 3 or 4 brews on single pack, 1.040 patersbier, 1.048 pale ale, and then stronger ones, blonde, dubbel or dark strong.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Fruity Dubbel?

Post by seymour » Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 am

I normally agree with zgoda 100%, but apparently not always. I have a feeling he's not going to like aspects of this. Not truly Belgian, but in the spirit, and I assure you...quite tasty.

SEYMOUR FRUITIG DUBBEL
Caramelly, crazy fruity, subtly spicy, this is a delicious thing of rare beauty.

6 US gallons = 5 Imperial Gallons = 22.7 Litres

GRAINBILL:
54% = 8.21 lb = 3.72 kg, Pilsener Malt
26% = 3.95 lb = 1.79 kg, Vienna Malt
7% = 1.06 lb = 408 g, CaraMunich Malt
3% = .46 lb = 209 g, Special-B Malt
10% = 1.52 lb = 689 g, Brown Cane Sugar

"HOCHKURZ" MULTI-STEP MASH:
30 min at 144°F/62.2°C
40 min at 154°F/67.8°C
10 min at 170°F/76.7°C
Then sparge to collect 8 gallons pre-boil

BOIL 90 minutes, add Irish Moss at 15 min remaining.

HOPS:
.5 oz = 14 g, Challenger, 90 minutes
.5 oz = 14 g, Cascade, 40 minutes
.5 oz = 14 g, Styrian Goldings, 15 minutes

YEAST:
T-58, don't be afraid to ferment warm (of course, a liquid Trappist strain would be even better)

STATS (≈75% mash efficiency and 79% yeast attenuation):
OG: 1064
FG:1013
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 26
COLOUR: 17°SRM/33°EBC

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Seymour that sounds lush, grain bills very similar to the one I used with the raisins.....

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 am

thanks again seymour as always the ultimate source of brewing knowledge :)

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri May 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Well if you want fruity I have a couple of suggestions. First of all, I have not used the dry Belgian yeast but I can tell you that WLP500 will give you fruity, especially if you ferment warm. It will throw off bananna however so be a bit careful because that would be considered a flaw in this style. On the other hand, I had very good luck recently with WLP530 which in my humble opinion will not give you quite the "fruit action" but makes a very nice Dubbel. Secondly, I add raisins (about 6 ounces for a 5 gallon batch) run them through a blender, carmalize them and chuck it into the boil. Be warned this can plug up your system depending on your equipment although I've done it in mine several times and had no issues. Rather than brown sugar you might try some liquid Belgian candi sugar, it will give you more rummy/dried fruit flavors (but the cost per batch will also increase because it's expensive). I also messed around with WLP550 once, it's not really an Abbey yeast per se but the Pater's bier I made with it came out really nice, I will for sure try it again. This is a fun style to make because you can screw around quite a bit to the the flavors you are looking for and of course the beer tastes great. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi,
thanks for the info, I just messaged Brewlabs to see if they have any belgian yeasts on file, saves me a couple of quid then. As for Liquid Candi, I was thinking of making my own following a youtube video, and making it to an amber level.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear how it all comes together for you...

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:18 pm

seymour wrote:
Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 am
I normally agree with zgoda 100%, but apparently not always. I have a feeling he's not going to like aspects of this. Not truly Belgian, but in the spirit, and I assure you...quite tasty.

SEYMOUR FRUITIG DUBBEL
Caramelly, crazy fruity, subtly spicy, this is a delicious thing of rare beauty.

6 US gallons = 5 Imperial Gallons = 22.7 Litres

GRAINBILL:
54% = 8.21 lb = 3.72 kg, Pilsener Malt
26% = 3.95 lb = 1.79 kg, Vienna Malt
7% = 1.06 lb = 408 g, CaraMunich Malt
3% = .46 lb = 209 g, Special-B Malt
10% = 1.52 lb = 689 g, Brown Cane Sugar

"HOCHKURZ" MULTI-STEP MASH:
30 min at 144°F/62.2°C
40 min at 154°F/67.8°C
10 min at 170°F/76.7°C
Then sparge to collect 8 gallons pre-boil

BOIL 90 minutes, add Irish Moss at 15 min remaining.

HOPS:
.5 oz = 14 g, Challenger, 90 minutes
.5 oz = 14 g, Cascade, 40 minutes
.5 oz = 14 g, Styrian Goldings, 15 minutes

YEAST:
T-58, don't be afraid to ferment warm (of course, a liquid Trappist strain would be even better)

STATS (≈75% mash efficiency and 79% yeast attenuation):
OG: 1064
FG:1013
ABV: 6.7%
IBU: 26
COLOUR: 17°SRM/33°EBC
I know this is an old thread, but Seymour's posts are always educational and wise.

I will very soon be able to control fermentation temperatures much more accurately and Belgian Dubbel style recipes are top of my list to try. This looks an excellent recipe to try. Any updates in the intervening years?

I plan to use Mangrove Jack's M31 or M41, (not yet ventured into liquid yeasts) would expect to keep it back to 18 degrees C for 3 days then let it free rise in temperature with a maximum of 26 and keep it at that until FG is reached ( 3 days static gravity). I know 90 min boils are often recommended but have tended to use 70 min boils with good results; is there any particular issue with substituting 70 mins here with adjustment in hop addition timing if needed?

Thanks in anticipation of any feedback from anyone.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:07 pm

If you do a shorter boil, you won't get as much out of the Challenger and you might fall short of the OG. I'd stick with the recipe. And I'd recommend using a liquid yeast and a starter. If you're not using a thermowell in the FV, i.e. not measuring the actual wort temperature, the fermenting wort, during active primary, is going to be at a much higher temperature than you actually record, at least 3-4*C higher. I'm not convinced it needs to go up to 26*C, but follow the yeast supplier's recommendations.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Can’t beat special b for raisin flavour

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks, one step at a time, I have Special B and will have very accurate temperature control. Already have thermowell but Heath Robinson heating and cooling, soon to have GF Conical up and running for the Belgians. Will stick with 90 mins and recipe then.

Liquid yeast likely sometime later this year, but so far pleased with the results from MJ dried yeasts.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 pm
I have… very accurate temperature control… thermowell
You'll be good to go to 26*C then :D Do try fresh yeast (with a starter) at some point - it really doesn't take much effort and the benefits will become clear, once you've used dry yeast for a while and decide you want to up your game.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:51 pm
Kingfisher4 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 pm
I have… very accurate temperature control… thermowell
You'll be good to go to 26*C then :D Do try fresh yeast (with a starter) at some point - it really doesn't take much effort and the benefits will become clear, once you've used dry yeast for a while and decide you want to up your game.
Fresh yeast is definitely in the plans at some point, especially with the potential to harvest from the conical to re-use for a few brews, with appropriate planning. Just trying to consolidate and reduce variability still!